Psychology
Course
PSY 240
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Winter

Description
Physical Disorders and Health Psychology: • PsychologicalApproaches o Behavioral medicine:  Knowledge derived from behavioral science is applied to prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of medical problems  Interdisciplinary (psychologists, physicians, health professionals) o Health psychology  Subfield of behavioral medicine  Not interdisciplinary  Study psychological factors that are important to the promotion and maintenance of health; analyze and recommend improvements in health- care systems and heath policy formation within the discipline of psychology • DSM 5 and Physical Disorders o Physical disorders are coded in a diagnosis if they related to the treatment issue • The Influence of Psychological and Social Factors: o 2 Primary paths  Psychological factors influence  Behavior Patters (seatbelt, smoking, etc) Things that Cause Changes in Psychology and Physical Disorders: A. Stress:  Nature of Stress o Stress: Physiological response of an individual o Stressor: Event that evokes the stress response o Variability: Stress responses vary from person to person  Hans Selye Stress Response & the GeneralAdaptation Syndrome o Phase 1 – Alarm response  sympathetic arousal o Phase 2 – Resistance  mobilized coping and action o Phase 3 – Exhaustion  Chronic stress, permanent damage  SNS activation  Neuromodulators and neuropeptides o CRF (corticotrophin releasing factor)  HPAaxis activation (recall from Mood Disorders) o Limbic system activation  Hippocampus  Chronic stress may damage cells in the hippocampus, thus maintaining the HPA loop o PTSD o Dementia  Psychosocial Vulnerabilities o Nature of stressors o Perceived uncontrollability  Self-efficacy: one’s perceptions of this are critical in determining response and effects of situations o Low social support o Negative affect  Experience of threats and challenges B. Immune System  Stress lowers functioning of immune system  Immune system identifies and eliminates i. Antigens ii. Damaged/aberrant body cells  Immune system works through Leukocytes (WBCs) i. Microphages (first line of defense) ii. Lymphocytes 1. Humoral/B cells 2. Cellular/T cells  Immune disease needs proper balance of T cell types i. Too many T4 cells => over-activity (auto immune disease) 1. Attacks normal body cells ii. Too few T4 cells => lowered activity 1. “Opportunistic” infections  Psychoneuroimmunology i. Study of psychological factors on immune response C. HIV/AIDS  Course of HIV is variable along these CDC stages i. Early ~1000 T4 cells/cmm ii. Middle ~500 T4 cells/cmm iii. AIDS if any of 1. 1 of 42 opportunistic infections, e.g. Kaposi’s sarcoma, toxoplasmosis 2. T4 count < 200cells/µl 3. has hard to treat tuberculosis, or recurrent pneumonia 4. invasive cervical cancer  Targets i. “Prefers” helper t4 cells ii. Also “likes” neurons in the brain  HAART i. Powerful, but not a cure ii. Severe side effects  Stress of diagnosis can be devastating  Exacerbation of AIDS progression i. High stress ii. Low social support  Goals: i. Reduce stress ii. Boost immune system  Outcomes: i. Increased T-helper cells ii. Lower antibodies iii. Enhanced psychological adjustment D. Cancer:  Uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells in the body  Psychosocial factors, such as marital disruption, chronic depression, low social support, and high stress, have been linked with differential cancer onset, but these findings are fairly inconsistent  More evidence for a relationship between psychosocial factors and cancer progression o Positive factors, such as social support and optimism may contribute to a longer survival o Negative coping factors, such as use of depressive coping mechanisms, may contrib
More Less

Related notes for PSY 240

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit