PPPM 415 Study Guide - Final Guide: Supplemental Security Income, Earned Income Tax Credit, Public Choice

124 views6 pages

Document Summary

Poverty distributive policy in the u. s. : history of social insurance and the u. s. safety net. Intended to provide incentive to work and to offset social security tax burden: very low cost to administer, 3rd-largest social welfare program in u. s. (after medicaid and food. Stamps: some states have state eitcs adds on to federal eitc to help offset regressive nature of many state taxes. In-kind: housing assistance (i. e. public housing, rent subsidies, energy assistance (i. e. assistance with heating and cooling bills, home energy efficiency modifications, education and training programs (i. e. federal college financial aid) 1970s ~ 1990s: increasing public displeasure with cash welfare (afdc: failure to reduce poverty over time, mid-class mothers increasingly going to work. Increasing numbers of never-marries mothers: rising number of welfare cases, particularly in the early 1990s, concern about intergenerational culture of poverty, lack of skill-building. Early 1990s: states began experimenting with welfare-to-work waivers -> led to federal welfare. Political economy, public choice theory, and government failure.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers