Cradle to Cradle:
What is wrong with Universal design solutions
- manufactures design for the worst case scenario (brute force) ignore natural and
What is Intergenerational tyranny
- poor design on such a scale reaches far beyond our life span
- our tyranny over future generations through the effects of our actions today.
Why is ‘eco-effectiveness’ better than ‘eco-efficiency’?
- "being less bad is no good"
- eco-efficiency does things faster "less bad approach" doesn't eliminate problem
- eco-effectiveness creates new solutions that create closed-loop systems; elmininates
toxic materials and waste
What is the New Design Assignment? pg89 Be able to give specific examples
- designs that deepen ecological, cultural and economical wealth in human communities.
- buildings, like trees, that produce more energy than it consumes and purifies it's own
- factories that produce effluents that are drinking water
- products that have a useful life do not become useless as waste
- materials accrued for humans and natural purposes
- transportation that improves quality of life.
- world of abundance, not one of limits, pollution, and waste
Earth’s Biological metabolism (waste=food) vs. Technical metabolism
- returns all ingredients to the soil safely like in nature; waste = food
- uses materials that can be disassembles and reused indefinitely; never head to for the
‘devolution’ vs. ‘respect diversity’
- simplification on a mass scale. human frame