- The use or threat of force with the intent or with the perceived intent of advancing !
individual or collective interests.
- Cultural or material deprivation, as well as psychological or physical damage is !
possible, but not necessary.
- MicroAggression !
- Non-forceful attempts to pursue individual or collective interests without the intent of doing
harm to others (e.g., standing up for one’s rights).
- This is a healthy way of dealing relationship !
- Threats or acts of physical force, verbal or emotional humiliation carried out with the intent or
with the perceived intent of physically or psychologically harming another !
- Violence is not an either/or concept. It is a continuum of actions that vary according to a
number of dimensions. !
Dimensions of Violence:!
- Seriousness — the potential or actual harm done, the extent to which it is viewed as morally
wrong, and the frequency and persistence of the behavior.!
- Legitimacy — whether actions are or are not approved or required in specific social settings.!
- Instrumental or Expressive Nature of Violence — whether actions are a means to and end or an
end in themselves.!
- Proactive vs. Reactive Violence
- Direct vs. Indirect Violence !
Organizing the Varieties of Terms
-Abandonment & Neglect
-Non-Violent Control Strategies, such as excessive monitoring, monopolizing !
decision-making, isolating from family and friends, etc.