PHILOS 122- Final Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam ( 53 pages long!)

53 views53 pages
30 Nov 2017
School
Department

Document Summary

Week 1: introducing critical thinking, philosophy, and methodology. I divide the practice of philosophy into two distinct parts: (i) understand, (ii) criticize. It is important that these parts are done in this order. You cannot properly criticize something until you really understand it. Otherwise your criticism might be way off, and not apply. In order to be able to understand views and criticize them, we need to be able to understand, and provide arguments. It is not merely about expressing your beliefs or opinions. Saying, that"s just what i believe is not a reason to have the belief. In fact, philosophy can, and often does, challenge deeply held beliefs. Be prepared to critically reflect on some of your beliefs. (note: changing your beliefs in response to compelling reasons is a good thing! Argument: an argument is a set (group, collection, etc) of sentences (or propositions, statements, etc), where one of those sentences is supported by the other sentences.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers