CHEM XL-14A Quiz 3Exam
DepartmentChemistry and Biochemistry
Course CodeCHEM 14A
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 1 pages of the document.
1. For the FT-IR of benzil, there is splitting at approximately 1660 cm-1, why? (4pts)
2. Benzoin is oxidized in a phase transfer catalysis (PTC) reaction with bleach to form
benzil. What is the catalyst used in today’s PTC reaction? (2pts) Draw the reaction
scheme showing the starting material and product. (4pts) No mechanism is
necessary because it is unknown.
3. Why the reaction called phase transfer catalysis? What are the phases? (4pts)
4. What physical property determines which liquid layer will be on top during the
5. In today’s column chromatography, what is the stationary medium? (2pts) Explain
briefly the proper procedure for packing your pipette column. (2pts)
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version