EE BIOL 162 Study Guide - Spring 2018, Comprehensive Midterm Notes - Xylem, Flowering Plant, Water Potential

133 views60 pages
EE BIOL 162
MIDTERM EXAM
STUDY GUIDE
Fall 2018
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 60 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Unlock document

Discussions for Plant Physiology 162: Quantitative Research Modules in Plant Physiology
Plant Growth Analysis
Please ope theGrowthAnalysisTool spreadsheet. This workook otais two sheets that
allow calculations of relative growth rate and absolute growth rates given inputted data. Data
for estimating growth rates and biomass allocation parameters is collected by growth
experiments. See http://prometheuswiki.publish.csiro.au/tiki-
index.php?page=Relative+growth+rate+and+its+components for more information on collection
of this type of data.
In the first sheet of the workbook, data can be entered for two harvests, and the spreadsheet
calculates biomass allocation variables LMF, SMF, RMF, LAR and SLA, and absolute growth rate
(AGR), relative growth rate (RGR) and unit leaf rate ULR.
In the second sheet of the workbook, data can be entered for biomass allocation variables and
ULR, and the spreadsheet calculates LAR, RGR, final biomass and AGR
1. I the harest data sheet, please look at ros  ad . These oer to differet plats
which started growing exactly the same, but the second one (i.e., in row 7) grew to double
the mass of the other at time 2 while keeping the same biomass allocation. Why is AGR not
exactly double? Why is RGR so much less than double? What accounted for the higher growth
of the second plant? Simulate differences in final mass to determine how high it would have
to be for RGR to have doubled.
AGR was’t eatl doule eause it is depedet o the differees etwee the ass of tie
2 and mass of time 1, not on the difference in mass between the two plants. The difference in
ass for leaf  is 8g ad the differee for leaf  is 6g. “ie these two differees are’t
exactly double, the AGR will also not be exactly double.
RGR is so much less than double because RGR increases exponentially since the equation for
RGR is ln(mass2/mass1)/(time2-time1).
The higher growth of the second plant is due to the increased unit leaf rate which represents
the mass accumulated per leaf area per time.
The final mass would have to be increased by 64 times in order for RGR to be doubled.
2. I the gie_ULR sheet, please look at ros  ad . Oe plat had doule the iitial ass
of the other, but they shared the same biomass allocation and ULR. How do you explain the
fact that RGR was exactly the same, but AGR was higher for the second plant? Can you create
a third plant which has a higher RGR but a lower AGR? What are the factors that result in that
scenario?
RGR is calculated by multiplying leaf area ratio and unit leaf rate. Because the two plants have
the same ULR and biomass allocation, the RGR will not change. On the other hand, AGR will
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

change because AGR depends on the difference in mass of the plants and since the mass
doubled over time, AGR will change. A third plant can be created that has a higher RGR but a
lower AGR if the total mass of the plant increase no more than 5g.
3. I the gie_ULR sheet, please look at ros  ad . The plat i ro  has doule the LMF
of the plant in row 8. What does this do to its final mass and AGR? How can you explain this
disproportional effect?
The final mass increases because when LMF is doubled LAR is doubled (LAR = SLA*LMF), which
causes the RGR to be doubled (RGR = LAR*ULF). When RGR is doubled, the final mass increases
exponentially since mass2 = mass1*e^(RGR*t). AGR will also increase because AGR depends on
the difference between the final and initial mass and since the final mass increases, the AGR will
also increase. This disproportional effect can be explained by the sensitivity of the plant to leaf
mass fraction.
Unlock document

Document Summary

Discussions for plant physiology 162: quantitative research modules in plant physiology. Plant growth analysis: please ope(cid:374) the (cid:862)growthanalysistool(cid:863) spreadsheet. This work(cid:271)ook (cid:272)o(cid:374)tai(cid:374)s two sheets that allow calculations of relative growth rate and absolute growth rates given inputted data. Data for estimating growth rates and biomass allocation parameters is collected by growth experiments. See http://prometheuswiki. publish. csiro. au/tiki- index. php?page=relative+growth+rate+and+its+components for more information on collection of this type of data. In the second sheet of the workbook, data can be entered for biomass allocation variables and. Ulr, and the spreadsheet calculates lar, rgr, final biomass and agr. I(cid:374) the (cid:862)har(cid:448)est data(cid:863) sheet, please look at ro(cid:449)s (cid:1010) a(cid:374)d (cid:1011). These (cid:272)o(cid:374)(cid:272)er(cid:374) t(cid:449)o differe(cid:374)t pla(cid:374)ts which started growing exactly the same, but the second one (i. e. , in row 7) grew to double the mass of the other at time 2 while keeping the same biomass allocation. Simulate differences in final mass to determine how high it would have to be for rgr to have doubled.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers