Get 2 days of unlimited access
Study Guides (350,000)
US (190,000)
UCLA (2,000)
Study Guide

[ENGCOMP 3] - Midterm Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam (33 pages long!)

Department
English Composition
Course Code
ENGCOMP 3
Professor
mehdizadeh
Study Guide
Midterm

This preview shows pages 1-3. to view the full 33 pages of the document.
UCLA
ENGCOMP 3
MIDTERM EXAM
STUDY GUIDE

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Pg23
-The subject is irritating, especially for women; and it is not new
_(try being black and a woman, you’ll never hear the end of it)
Enough ink has flowed over the quarrel about feminism; it is now almost over: let’s not talk
about it anymore. Yet it is still being talked about.
Because of men
“Where are the women?” asked a short-lived magazine recently. 1 But first, what is a woman?
“Tota mulier in utero: she is a womb,”
-“femininity is in jeopardy”; we are urged, “Be women, stay women, become women.” So not
every female human being is necessarily a woman; she must take part in this mysterious and
endangered reality known as femininity.
Is femininity secreted by the ovaries? Is it enshrined in a Platonic heaven? Is a frilly petticoat
enough to bring it down to earth?
Its over 2000 years of being sick and tired of mens’ bullshit.
But conceptualism has lost ground: biological and social sciences no longer believe there are
immutably determined entities that define given characteristics like those of the woman
Pg24
-. If there is no such thing today as femininity, it is because there never was. Does the word
“woman,” then, have no content?
Gender norms are bullshit
Dorothy Parker wrote: “I cannot be fair about books that treat women as women. My idea is that
all of us, men as well as women, whoever we are, should be considered as human beings.”
But nominalism is a doctrine that falls a bit short; and it is easy for antifeminists to show that
women are not men
A few years ago, a well-known woman writer refused to have her portrait appear in a series of
photographs devoted specifically to women writers. She wanted to be included in the men’s
category; but to get this privilege, she used her husband’s influence.
In order to gain rights you need to play by society’s rules.
She was denying her feminine frailty; but it was for the love of a militant man she wanted to be
equal to
Do we have to deny our feminism in order to be equal to men?
And the truth is that anyone can clearly see that humanity is split into two categories of
individuals with manifestly different clothes, faces, bodies, smiles, movements, interests, and
occupations; these differences are perhaps superficial; perhaps they are destined to disappear.
Once more people start having mixed children, the concept or race will disappear over
time.
Pg25
If I want to define myself, I first have to say, “I am a woman”; all other assertions will arise from
this basic truth. A man never begins by positing himself as an individual of a certain sex: that he
is a man is obvious
The relation of the two sexes is not that of two electrical poles: the man represents both the
positive and the neuter to such an extent that in French hommes designates human beings, the
find more resources at oneclass.com
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

particular meaning of the word vir being assimilated into the general meaning of the word
“homo.” Woman is the negative, to such a point that any determination is imputed to her as a
limitation, without reciprocity.
The reason why men are positive is because history turned out in their favor
In fact, just as for the ancients there was an absolute vertical that defined the oblique, there is
an absolute human type that is masculine. Woman has ovaries and a uterus; such are the
particular conditions that lock her in her subjectivity;
“It’s because I have tits but don’t have a dick, the whole idea of it seriously makes me
sick”
he considers woman’s body an obstacle, a prison, burdened by everything that particularizes it.
“The female is female by virtue of a certain lack of qualities,” Aristotle said. “We should regard
women’s nature as suffering from natural defectiveness.”
Got to be fucking kidding me
Pg 26
Humanity is male, and man defines woman, not in herself, but in relation to himself; she is not
considered an autonomous being
Partly because of the Bible
“A man’s body has meaning by itself, disregarding the body of the woman, whereas the
woman’s body seems devoid of meaning without reference to the male. Man thinks himself
without woman. Woman does not think herself without man.”
Woman need the labor of a man, and man need to reproduce
-And she is nothing other than what man decides; she is thus called “the sex,” meaning that the
male sees her essentially as a sexed being; for him she is sex, so she is it in the absolute.
-no feminine element is involved at the outset; neither in GoodEvil, auspicious and
inauspicious, left and right, God and Lucifer; alterity is the fundamental category of human
thought. No group ever defines itself as One without immediately setting up the Other opposite
itself.
-Village people view anyone not belonging to the village as suspicious “others.”
“The passage from the state of Nature to the state of Culture is defined by man’s ability
to think biological relations as systems of oppositions; duality, alternation, opposition, and
symmetry, whether occurring in defined or less clear form, are not so much phenomena to
explain as fundamental and immediate givens of social reality.
Pg27
-a local is shocked to realize that in neighboring countries locals view him as a foreigner;
between villages, clans, nations, and classes there are wars, potlatches, agreements, treaties,
and struggles that remove the absolute meaning from the idea of the Other and bring out its
relativity; whether one likes it or not, individuals and groups have no choice but to recognize the
reciprocity of their relation.
Imperialism
-How is it, then, that between the sexes this reciprocity has not been put forward, that
one of the terms has been asserted as the only essential one, denying any relativity in regard to
its correlative, defining the latter as pure alterity? Why do women not contest male sovereignty?
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version