COMM 1000- Midterm Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam ( 34 pages long!)

187 views34 pages

Document Summary

The process of managing messages for the purpose of creating shared meaning. The medium through which a message is sent. Prevents message from being received, or prevents intended meaning from being understood. Psychological process saying that i"m paying attention to this . 3 or more members of a group influencing one another. Comm-1000 - lecture 2 - part 2: studying communication as a science. Word choice, loaded words (gw bush, freedom) Will look at certain situations and analyze how power is being used. Collect data that is rich in detail and description. Seeks to uncover patterns in communication behaviors via numbers. Employ advanced statistical techniques and rigid testing to support/reject hypotheses. Ca(cid:374) work (cid:862)i(cid:374) the field(cid:863) or i(cid:374) the lab. Ask a question or state a problem. Think through and refine the hypothesis or research question. Design and conduct the observation, measurement, or experiment. Systematic analysis of the content of communication messages. Limited to studying what is already occurring.