SPAN 1010 Study Guide - Comprehensive Midterm Guide: Autarchism, Nazi Salute, Juan Gris

88 views25 pages
7 Feb 2017
School
Department
Course

For unlimited access to Study Guides, a Grade+ subscription is required.

Uconn
SPAN 1010
MIDTERM EXAM
STUDY GUIDE
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 25 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Unlock document

Calos “auas fil, La Caza follos thee a eteas as the eisit attlegouds of
the Spanish Civil War for an innocent rabbit hunt. La Caza showcases the repercussions of war
and the influence of a salient memory. This thriller captures the deterioration of three men,
jutaposed  Eiue, a elatie of Paos, ho is aïe ad uaed  the recollections of
combat and therefore react very differently to the hunting grounds. La Caza and the rabbit hunt
that the veterans go on can be seen as a metaphor to nature and the mindset of a generation
that went to war.
The arraya where the hunters isolate themselves, evokes a sense of nostalgia for the
older men as they recall their efforts in the Spanish Civil War. The desolate land still has traps
and remnants of the war showing how the land has been unchanged by time even though the
soldiers have since aged. The men show similarities with their past selves, showing expert
handling of guns and their primal instincts that helped them during combat. These innate
instincts are overwhelmingly evident in three friends as they excitedly load up their weapons.
Although during the civil war these men were younger and faster, they are arguably more lethal
now in their later years seeing as their faculties have deteriorated, the heat and harsh
conditions are more draining and they are riddled with a litany of personal crises. With age, the
men have formed their own political opinions and now lack boyish ignorance. Paco is
bloodthirsty and a resilient fascist who believes that life revolves around the triumph of the
weak and therefore is naturally enthralled by the hunt for another living being. Jose on the
othe had is stuk i the past, laiig to hae a seet i these hills hih tus out to e a
skeleton, padlocked safely in a cave. The skeleton is a raw and preserved piece of evidence
from the Spanish Civil War and can be interpreted as a way that Jose manages to reconnect and
protect the past. The muscle memory of loading a gun and penetrable visual environment
transports all three men back to their time during the Civil War.
Enrique tags along as the only one lacking experience as a soldier and proves to contrast
the eteas brutish nature. Enrique is the only hunter to be given a nickname, QuiQue and
furthermore the only man who is hunting with a borrowed gun, a pistol from his father. At one
point, Enrique watches the game-keepes young niece with binoculars as she sunbathes,
displaying his natural juvenile behavior. Enrique contrasts the veterans by representing the new
and growing generation who have no memory of combat or a taste of bloodshed, but are eager
to serve. There is a mass amount of gunfire throughout the hunt and as tensions rise the
hunters turn against each other; Jose deliberately shoots down Paco and there is rapid gunfire
between Luis and Jose leaving all three friends dead. Enrique exhibits his immaturity and
inexperience down to the very last shot: an image of his back as he runs away with the
battlefield and his wounded friends behind him.
I La Caza, hutig is used as a etapho fo the pshosis of a geeatio ad atue
itself. The generation of young men that were deployed for the Spanish Civil War spent their
formative years learning how to kill men and fight for their country. As a result, the men are
defined by their ability to hunt and their guns. Jose and Paco use doubled barrel shotguns and
Eiue has his fathes iil a pistol. O the othe had, Luis aies a sipe rifle, a weapon
designed to target humans, remains from the war and an example of his deteriorating mental
faculties. Luis is the first to exhibit deranged behavior, practicing his shooting on a mannequin
ad also polaiig that a da ill oe he the rabbits will invade, forming a new
iilizatio. The shootig sees ae apid ad utish, lakig aaeess ad osiousess of
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

action. There is an ambiguity of the target, with rabbits and humans being easily interchanged.
The friends are increasingly hostile as their separate agendas come to surface and they are
depleted by the savagery. Jose wants to ask Paco for a loan since he is recently divorced and
seeing a younger woman, Mirabel, which is quickly denied. As Jose sas, the hut is like life,
the stogest take out the eak. The e ae suked ito the eo of a ad the id
set of survival at all costs. As the men are further influenced by the environment and their
heavy memories from war, the hunters become the hunted and uniformly self-destruct.
The men are brought back to the aspects of war that had once consumed their days.
They revert back to the routines and feelings from their time in the Spanish Civil War and are in
part eager to relive those days. Hunting proves to be a parallel substitute for actual combat for
the veterans although they seem to be bored with their lame prey and crave a more high-stakes
game. The men lose their inhibitions and accept their animalistic desires, hunting men instead
of bunnies and killing each other.
Unlock document

Get access

Grade+
$10 USD/m
Billed $120 USD annually
Homework Help
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
40 Verified Answers
Study Guides
1 Booster Class