Department
Making of the Modern World
Course Code
MMW 11
Professor
Page Dubois
Study Guide
Midterm

This preview shows pages 1-2. to view the full 7 pages of the document.
MMW11MidtermStudyGuide
Remember,filloutasmuchasyoucanaboutlocatingdataandsignificance.Highlightorbold
clearlyanyquestionsyouhave,andIwillmakesuretheyareansweredbyWednesdayevening
before9pm.
Goodluck!
Ellen
Hiall!I’llbewritingtoyouinthiscolor!Ellen
Isthetesttomorrowinlecturehall?
Yes,thetestwillbeinthelecturehall.Please
remembertobringablankbluebookandsomethingtowritewith.
EvolutionandPrehistory:
Justsomewordsofadviceaboutsomeoftheterms:someofthemwillhaveshorteranswers
thanothers(i.ebipedalism,Ur,etc).Don’toverthinkit.Someofthemaresimplyimportantas
theyrelatetohumanhistory.Everythingwilllinktothecoursethemeofthegainsandlossesin
the“progressionofsocieties”ifthathelpsyoutotrytodiscusstheirsignificance. 
● bipedalismlocomotionbyusingtworearends(beingabletowalkwithyourtwolegs)
● hominidTheyareafamilyofprimates.Hominids,includingtheGreatApesand
humans,haveacommonancestorAfricanApes.WhatelsecanIwriteabout?
Hereitisimportanttonotethedistinctionbetweenhominidandhominin.
● Paleolithic:Paleolithic(era)relatestotheprehistoricperiodofhumanhistoryknownas
theoldstoneage,duringwhichpeopleusedstone,bones,andothernaturalproductsto
maketoolsandgainedfoodlargelybyforaging.
● Neolithic:Neolithic(era)relatestotheprehistoricperiodofhumanhistoryknownasthe
Newstoneage,duringwhichpeoplestartedthepracticeofagriculturalandanimal
domestication.
● homoerectus:Homoerectusdirectlytranslatesto“uprighthuman”.Theyareaspecies
thatevolvedinEastAfrica2millionyearsago.Theyhadlargerbrainsthanhomohabilis
andmadetoolsthatwereslightlyspecializedforvarioustasks.
● huntergatherersMostcommonlyreferstothepeopleofthePaleolithicEraandhow
theyreliedongatheredandhuntedmeat.
● homosapienssapiensHomoSapiensSapiensisanotherspeciesinthegenus
Homo.Itmeans"Thinkingthinkinghumans"andtheywerebasicallyaslightly
moreevolvedandmodernextensionofhomosapiens.TheyreplacedHomo
Erectuspopulationsandbecametheancestorsforallmodernhumans.Isthis
missingsomething?linktothediscussionaboutthedifferencetoorbetween
neanderthalsifyoulike(speciesvs.subspecies).

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

● NeanderthalsAbranchofhighlydevelopedhomoerectus.Theylivedthroughout
WesternAsiaandEuropebeginning150,000yearsago.Theyhadbigbrainsas
modernhumanandusedtools,bones,andflowerstoburythedeadsuggesting
thattheyunderstooddeath’ssymbolicmeaning.Isthefocusonthisok?Yes,this
looksgreatforsignificance.Iwouldtakeanotherlookattheideathat
neanderthalsareabranchofhomoerectus.lookatthedebatewithhomosapiens.
● Lucy:Ithinklucywasimportantbecausetheyuncoveredalargeportionofherskeleton
andherskeletalremainssupportedthefactthatbipedalismcamebeforetheincreasein
brainsize(oneoftheAustralopithecus)
● artificialselectionApracticeinanimaldomesticationthatencompassedchoosing
specificcharacteristicsofanimalstheylikedandbreedingthoseanimalstogether
tointensifyorcarryonthatfeature.Dogswereoftenthefirsttobedomesticated,
theyusedthisondogstoaidinhunting.Theyalsousedthistomakeanimalswith
moremeatorwoolforharvesting.Thisleadstopastoralism,alifestylebasedon
herdingandraisinglivestock.Isthisokay?verygood,andeasytolinktocourse
themeofprogression.
AncientNearEast:Generally,isEgyptgroupedinwiththeAncientNearEastbecauseI
seeEgyptiantermsunderthissection?(MyunderstandinghasalwaysbeenthatAncient
NearEastisAkkadian,Sumerian,Babylonianetc.butIcouldbewrong)
● t:Iwrotethathegemonymeanscoercionandconsent.Isthattooshort?Doi
misssomething?IknowwhathegemonywaslikeinGreece,butnotinAncient
NearEast?Thinkaboutthepharaohandhisarmy
● Hammurabi:HewastheemperoroftheBabylonians.HeunifiedMesopotamiain
hisreignbyusingmilitaryforce,strategicalliancesandreligiousideas.Heis
knownforthe“Hammurabi’slawcode”.Thelawsthathecameupwithwerereally
strictandveryspecific.
● Akhenaten:Akhenaten was a pharaoh of the Eighteenth dynasty of Egypt who ruled
for 17 years. He is especially noted for abandoning traditional
Egyptian polytheism and introducing worship centered on the Aten, which is
sometimes described as monotheistic.Hisreligiousideasdidnothold,because
afterhediedsodidmostofhisbeliefs.Traditionalpracticesfollowedwiththenew
successor.Hedidsetthetoneformonotheism,however.
● Ma’at:TheEgyptianGoddessofTruthandJustice,Ma’atwasrepresentedasthe
featherthattheheartoftherecentlydeceasedwasweighedagainsttoseeifthe
deceasedcouldenterintotheafterlife,oriftheirheartwouldbedevoured.Thisshows
thecorrelationbetweentheideasofDeath,inthesenseofpotentialafterlife,andGods,
inthesenseoftheirabilitytograntpermissionintotheafterlife.
● Ur:IwrotethatthiswasaSumeriancityinAncientMesopotamiaandaboutthe
famousziggurat.Istheresomethingmoretowrite?Whatwasthesignificanceof
Ur?IfeellikeIammissinginformation.Also,what’sthesignificanceofziggurat?
Thesignificanceisthatithelpedancientmesopotamiansbecomeclosertothe
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version