Good life reading notes.docx

5 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Florida
Geological Sciences
IUF 1000
Maze/ Wise

Weeks 1-2: Thinking 1. Five Fold Happiness a. Good fortune is central to all aspects of Chinese culture and life; by layering their lives with symbols of luck, the Chinese believe that they increase their chances of happy existence. b. Five happinesses i. Luck ii. Prosperity 1. Embodies status, honor, and advancement to high office; “lu” literally means high salary. High importance of education, because passing exams means advancement to high office iii. Longevity 1. Most highly esteemed iv. Double happiness 1. Synonymous with marital bliss, and it is related to fertility wish v. Wealth 1. Prosperity attained through business; desire for wealth and success c. MY OPINION: These five happinesses make it seem as if the Chinese have a very restricted view of what is required to make a happy life. While these aspects may provide happiness for one person, group, or culture of people, they may not provide the same fulfillment for others. Finally, while these aspects provide happiness in the future, besides longevity, the happinesses don’t offer a way to supply long- term fulfillment/contentment. This can be contrasted with the fulfillment gained through experience of Siddhartha, who was never satisfied in the present and always attempted to improve his current state by constantly searching for that which would allow him to gain true enlightenment. He had a goal to attain; he had a purpose in life. Five Fold Happiness somewhat overlooks the idea of having a purpose and instead looks to provide general happiness in the average lifestyle. 2. How Should One Read a Book? a. Read books without preconceived notions of the way a reading should be and without preconceived biases. Open your mind by “becoming the author” rather than attempting to argue with him. b. Understand the writer’s struggle by attempting to write about a fleeting moment. Then turn to one of the greats and admire how beautifully they portray their scenes and with what variety. c. Another aim is to read books “not to throw light on literature, not to become familiar with famous people, but to refresh and exercise our own creative powers.” Read fiction because it’s fun and refreshing. d. However, we cannot sympathize completely with our readings. “We learn through feeling.” Judgment is bound to be passed, and though these judgments are not worth us, as we are deserving not of the high class of critics, our judgments do have the ability to influence critics. e. “Are there not some pursuits that we practice because they are good in themselves…” f. MY OPINION: I thoroughly agree with the ideas put forth by this author. Too many times people approach not only works of art or readings, but also various situations and people, with preconceived judgments that prevent learning. While it is true that not everything should be absorbed as fact/knowledge without examination, it is important to examine things not only from the point of view that they must be false, but also from the point of view that they can be true. 3. Short stories of Marcel Proust a. The author’s fantasies of the room with the beautiful scent and the other hints of beauty that existed and emanated from the room clouded/ informed his vision of the good life. An aspiration of what was better made him idealize the beauty of the room and its inhabitants. He continues to remember the beauty of it, and he remembers with positivity in contrast to the putrid smell of the rest of the hotel. b. MY OPINION: The dude had some wacky fantasy because he smelled something. Maybe he was high? On a serious note, making a positive impression can leave someone with a positive outlook on various situations that they are involved in. An optimistic outlook leaves a greater impression and more positive memories. 4. History of Herodotus a. King Croesus of Sardis asked Solon who was “the most blessed of all.” Both of Solon’s responses were of men who had died splendidly: the first died in glory, fighting in battle, while the second most blessed were brothers who died pulling the wagon of their mother. b. Solon valued those who had brought their lives to an end well. c. Croesus later realized that Solon was right when he was about to be burned alive by Cyrus. d. Lesson: Don’t judge the blessings of a man until his work is done; he that has enough for the day is no less fortunate than he that has plenty of riches. It is greater to be lucky than to be rich, because though riches can cure the visitation of evil, luck prevents it in the first place. e. MY OPINION: While being rich can certainly help, it isn’t the only thing in life. It is more important to do good deeds, good deeds for other people, and live a good life: by helping others, teaching others, realizing where wisdom truly resides, and heeding that wisdom that is offered. 5. The Roots of Ayurveda a. 3 ambitions of a robust, intelligent man looking for a good life i. Will for life 1. When ya ain’t got life, ya got nuthin…Safeguard your life ii. Drive for prosperity 1. Ain’t nothin worse than a long life with no stuff. Get a good respectable job. iii. Aspiration for the world beyond iv. Many become non-believers because it is beyond the perceptible, but the wise man realizes that there is so much beyond the senses that it would be unreasonable to cast aside the knowledge that
More Less

Related notes for IUF 1000

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.