Geological Sciences
Course
IUF 1000
Professor
Andrew Nichols
Semester
Fall

Description
Analytical Essay—Assignment Guidance  Having read over the assignment sheet, again, I thought I’d offer some pointers on how to  complete this assignment. I’ve also taken the liberty of re­sending out the assignment sheet as it is  actually pretty straightforward and helpful. I’ve also attached the Harn Museum tour info that Dr.  Nichols put on the course Sakai: this should also prove helpful.  1) This assignment is about YOUR definition of the “good life” and YOUR sense of the costs  it incurs. However… 2) In order to illustrate this definition of the “good life”, you need to refer to one text from  the list and one performance or piece of art from the Harn. The goal here is not to summarize the arguments made in the text. The assignment sheet  specifically to assume no such summary is necessary. You should analyze the text’s position and  cite it in the service of your own argument. You may even be confused about what the difference  between summary and analysis is.  Here’s an example, from a text in our course:  Summary:  With the exception of his youth with Govinda, Siddhartha generally moves from one  life phase to the next without lasting attachments to individual people.  This tells what happened, but doesn’t make a debatable claim about the text.  Analysis:  Siddhartha is driven by his quest for knowledge to the exclusion of all other “human”  pursuits like lasting friendships or community: up until the end of his life, he understands the  quest for knowledge and enlightenment as an individual tasks from which others can only  distract.  It includes or alludes to the information in the summary (Siddhartha is a loner!), but makes a  debatable claim about it. It answers interpretive questions like “why” that the summary doesn’t  even gesture toward.  Sometimes, it’s hard to use other people’s ideas to support your own. You may be much more  comfortable summarizing and maybe analyzing what someone else said rather than using  research to prove your point. An analogy might prove helpful to you Gator fans:  Imagine watching a football game. The talking heads often give play­by­play information  accompanied with some small bits of analysis. Their narrative is driven by the game itself and  captures the game as it happens in real time.  This is a summary and you should not do this in  your paper. Monday morning quarterbacking, however, starts with the writer’s claim and then finds pieces  from the game to back it up. Perhaps the claim is, “Will Muschamp should be fired immediately.”  The writer would
More Less

Related notes for IUF 1000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit