Geological Sciences
Course
IUF 1000
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Fall

Description
P a g e | 1 HUM 2305 ROVINE/SMITH September 24, 2013 I. Embodying The Good Life – Image and Essence a. Themes i. Beauty is only skin-deep ii. You are what you eat iii. What you see is what you get iv. You get what you pay for v. Appearances can be deceiving vi. Clothes make the man/woman vii. Only the strong survive b. Beauty and Style i. Princess Diana (Lady Diana Spencer, Princess of Wales 1961-1997) 1. She was a kindergarten teacher so was seen as practical woman 2. Was depressed in the royal world 3. Very significant figure in history 4. Comparable to Kate Middleton (Princess of Cambridge b.1982) a. Very similar weddings P a g e | 2 b. Very influential in the fashion world like Diana ii. Privilege seems to be the fate of the two women iii. The Kennedys 1. Jackie (Jacqueline Lee Bouvier Kennedy) Kennedy (1929 – 1994) was a fashion role model 2. In Paris, her knowledge in French and her grace allowed for more international connections 3. Suffered a lot a. Husband and son died, as well as her brother-in-law b. Image vs. essence of life i. What appears to be glamorous outside, may not be how the person feels inside iv. Eleanor Roosevelt (Anna Eleanor Roosevelt 1884 – 1962) “The First Lady of the World” 1. A mentor told her she had great inner beauty 2. Was seen as inferior because she wasn’t as ‘pretty’, but she had intelligence and grace, and helped the poor to make a living. Had an impact on the world P a g e | 3 3. UN representative to UN on Human Rights (1947 – 1953) 4. Chair, Presidential Commission on Status of Women and Advisor to JFK (1961 – 1962) c. Appearance and Deception i. Don’t judge a book by its cover ii. All that glitters is not gold iii. Nobody’s perfect iv. Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence v. What goes around, comes around vi. You can’t take it with you vii. Mona Lisa 1. Biography 2. Art History 3. Social History 4. Feminism 5. Economics 6. Iconography 7. Image or brand? a. May be a womanized version of Leonardo da Vinci P a g e | 4 d. Abraham Lincoln (1809 – 1865) “Honest” Abe i. Not known for being handsome, rather for his inner qualities “honest” Abe ii. Had a tragic life in addition to stress of presidency iii. We must put ourselves in bodies of other people (slavery) iv. On Appearances 1. “If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?” 2. “Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.” 3. “Tact is the abi
More Less

Related notes for IUF 1000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit