PSYC 3325 Final: Personality Psychology Final Exam Review

134 views15 pages
Personality Psychology Final Exam Review
Ch. 14: Rogers Person-Centered Therapy
Humanistic Psychology: focuses on higher, more developed, and healthier aspects of human
experience and their development (e.g. spirituality, creativity, and tolerance). Values the
subjective experience of the individual. Emphasizes the present rather than the past or future.
Seeks to improve the human condition by changing the environment in which people develop. It
assumes that, given appropriate conditions, individuals will develop in a desirable direction.
- Developed as a reaction against pure psychoanalytic theory and behaviorism. The
challenge of humanistic psychology has been to understand humans in terms of their highest
potential, through the study of individuals who display the highest level of human functioning.
Carl Rogers born in Illinois in 1902. Raised in a strict, fundamentalist Christian home. Wrote On
ecoming a Person (1961). He was one of the first member of the Association of Humanistic
Psychology. His ideas built on Alfred Alders belief that people have a fundamental tendency to
develop in healthy directions. His theory is the one theory of therapy that was first extensively
tested by empirical research.
The Actualizing Tendency: the force for growth an development that is innate in all
organisms. the directional trend which is evident in all organic and human lifethe urge to
expand, extend, develop, maturethe tendency to express and activate all the capacities of the
organism, or the self. We behave in ways that take us toward our goals of enhanced
development.
The Formative Tendency: general tendency toward development in nature. He contrasted this
with entropy (a development toward randomness.
Organismic Valuing Process: inner (subconscious) sense within a person, which guides him or
her in the directions of growth and health (and away from those directions that inhibit
growth). People often learn to substitute external rules for this internal sense of the right
directions for them, and to their detriment. Unhealthy behavior and psychopathology are
caused by losing touch with this internal growth process. People learn to distrust their inner
feelings in response to messages that certain feelings or reactions are wrong.
The Fully Functioning person: a person who pays attention to the organismic valuing process
is self-actualizing or fully functioning. To be in that state, a person must tune out adverse
socialization messages. Must be able to tune out societal messages in favor of the
organismic valuing process. Characteristics of a fully functioning person: high on Openness to
experience, Existential living, Organismic trust, Experiential freedom, and Creativity.
Subjective Experience, Values and Science
spirituality, as well as subjectivity are consistent with Rogerss theory much more than
hard science. Humanistic Psychology holds values as quite important. Problem for
those who prefer stronger science, though the two may not be mutually exclusive.
Problem if ones personal values are destructive to society (though in the optimistic view
of humanistic psychology, our tendency is always towards growth)
The Self: positive changes (including change in therapy) are due to changes in the self
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 15 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Ideal self: what one feels he or she should be like. (often based on what others
perceived ideal for us is)
Real self: the self that contains the actualizing tendency, the self based on ones own
preferences for ones self.
Incongruence: the real self and the ideal self are different and are pulling against each
other. If the self being actualized is the ideal self and not the real self, actualization will
not promote psychological health.
Development
Conditions of self worth: the expectations a person must live up to before receiving
respect and love.
Conditional positive regard: I am loved as long as I live up to the conditions set by others
(e.g., my parents)
Unconditional positive regard: accepting and valuing a person without requiring
particular behaviors as a prerequisite. I am loved because I am me, regardless of my
behavior> results in a fully functioning person (thoughts and feelings are all ok, even
though not all behavior is acceptable)
Contingencies of Self-Worth Scale (Crocker, Luhtanen, Cooper, & Bouvrette, 2003)
- suggests that contingent self-worth is domain-specific> measures seven
domains of internal and external self-esteem/self-worth
- family support, competition, appearance, Gods love, academic competence,
virtue (being a moral person), approval from others
Development of Creativity: creativity emerges from healthy development. Product of
openness to experience, internal locus of control and evaluation, and the ability to
explore different concepts and combinations of ideas.
- statements typical of parents of preschool children who later became creative: I
respect my childs opinions and encourage him/her to express them and I encourage my child
to be curious, to explore and question things.
Client- Centered Therapy: also known as person-centered therapy
therapy based on the belief that the person seeking help is the best judge of the direction
that will lead to growth. The therapist is not an authority, rather therapy is a collaboration
between two fallible people. Therapy focuses on listening to the client, from the clients
point of view. The therapist should not have a façade. Humanistic psychology largely
rejects the idea of transference, stating that therapeutic relationships in real-time is the
appropriate focus.
In my early professional years I was asking the question: How can I treat, or cute, or
change this person? Now I would phrase the question in this way: How can I provide a
relationship which this person may use for his own personal growth? Carl Rogers
1. Unconditional Positive Regard: absolutely necessary to be a good Rogerian and
humanistic psychologist. This is in as the hallmark of a Rogerian/humanisitc
Unlock document

therapist. Clients need to feel accepted as a whole, not of specific maladaptive
behaviors
- Prizing: characteristic of a good therapist, which involves positively valuing the
client; also called unconditional positive regard. need to distinguish between the behavior (which
can be damaging or repugnant) and the person (who has some sort of redeeming qualities).
2. Therapist Congruence: a feeling of consistency between the real and ideal self of
therapist. The opposite of hiding behind a therapeutic mask. Humanistic psychologists are more
transparent than any other therapeutic orientation> based in confidence in the client.
3. Empathetic Understanding: the therapist should seek to understand the experience of
the client (phenomenological approach) indeed to experience the clients emotional experience
to some degree. the ability of the therapist to understand the subjective experience of the client.
Restatement is a helpful tool, but should not be used without any reflection on the part of the
therapist about a clients statements meaning. The greater the differences in culture and values
between the client and the therapist, the more difficult this tends to be> risk of empathetic
failure.
When the conditions for therapy are met, the process of therapy begins, which has these
characteristic: the client
1. Is increasingly free in expressing feelings
2. expresses feeling with increasingly have reference to the self rather than non-self
3. expresses feeling which increasingly acknowledge incongruity between experiences
and self-concept
4. Is more aware of the disadvantages of incongruence
5. experiences in full awareness feeling that previously were unavailable to awareness
6. Is more able to incorporate these feelings into self-concept
7. increasingly feels unconditional self-regard
8. Is more and more self-accepting
Research
The process of psychotherapy: humanistic psychology is greatly criticized for being non-
empirical, though Rogers firmly believed in testing his theories (this was often
accomplished by audio or video recording his sessions, most famously with Gloria).
Behavior coding scales for reviewing videotaped sessions.
Outcomes of Psychotherapy: measure of self-concept: Q-sort of statements, first done for
the actual self (I am…”), and then for the ideal self (I would like to be…”). After
Rogerian therapy, the two Q-sorts were more similar, indicating greater client
congruence
Rogerss Process Scale
1. Communicates about externals, not self. No desire to change.
2. Problems seen as external; no self responsibility. Focus is on past feelings.
(The majority of the work in therapy is in steps 3-5)
3. Much talk about self. Present feelings are not accepted. Choices are seen as
ineffective
4. Present feelings are acknowledged but feared. Self is seen as responsible
5. Freely expressing feelings. Desire to be ones real self
6. Rich immediacy of experience; living in the moment and accepting things.
Unlock document

Document Summary

Developed as a reaction against pure psychoanalytic theory and behaviorism. Humanistic psychology: focuses on higher , more developed, and healthier aspects of human experience and their development (e. g. spirituality, creativity, and tolerance). Emphasizes the present rather than the past or future. Seeks to improve the human condition by changing the environment in which people develop. He was one of the first member of the association of humanistic. His ideas built on alfred alder"s belief that people have a fundamental tendency to develop in healthy directions. His theory is the one theory of therapy that was first extensively tested by empirical research: the actualizing tendency: the force for growth an development that is innate in all organisms. The directional trend which is evident in all organic and human life the urge to expand, extend, develop, mature the tendency to express and activate all the capacities of the organism, or the self .

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers