Geology
Course
GEOL 118
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Fall

Description
Geology 118 Final Review 05/06/2013 Topic #27 ­ Climate Change I Definition of climate? Weather at a particular region over a large period of time Why is the study of climate change important? Impact on sea level, agriculture, population migration, predict future climate What is the impact of global warming or global cooling (i.e., Ice Age) on sea level? If glaciers melt  ▯ sea levels rise  ▯ flooding Ice Age  ▯ more glaciers  ▯ reduced sea level What effects do glaciers have on Earth's landscape and flooding? Creates lakes, flattens landscapes or carves mountains, rich soil What two gases represent ~99% of Earth's atmosphere? What is the approximate atmospheric abundance  of CO2, <1% (0.04%) Nitrogen 78% Oxygen 21% Argon 0.9% What is the Greenhouse Effect? Trapping of heat in lower atmosphere What two types of electromagnetic radiation are involved in the Greenhouse Effect and how do the gases,  CO2 and H2O, play a role in the Greenhouse Effect? Visible light & infrared radiation CO2 and H2O are greenhouse gases that trap the infrared radiation which causes heating of the earth Know how the following processes affect atmospheric abundance of CO2: volcanism, chemical weathering  (i.e., dissolving minerals and rock), burning fossil fuel, photosynthesis and respiration. Volcanism: increases CO2 Chemical weathering: decrease CO2 Burning fossil fuels: increases CO2 Photosynthesis: decreases CO2 Respiration: increases CO2 Topic #28 ­ Scientific Writing What are the two major goals in effective communication involving scientific writing? Communicate clearly and efficiently Topic #28a ­ Climate Change II Know the general nature of Earth's climate (hothouse vs. icehouse) and the major factor controlling Earth's  climate for the following intervals of geologic time:  Early Earth (4.6 ­ ~3.5 billion years ago, early Precambrian): increased CO2 hot house climate, due  to many more volcanic eruptions End of Paleozoic (~250 million years ago, m.y.a.): ice house, climate lots of glaciers on land, single  super continent End of Mesozoic/beginning of Cenozoic (100 ­ 50 m.y.a.): increased CO2 hot house,  volcanism caused increase in CO2 levels Middle to End of Cenozoic (50 ­ 2 m.y.a.): decreased CO2 progressive cooling drop in CO2 due to  chemical weathering due to formation of Himalayas, also >marine planets = >photosynthesis = 
More Less

Related notes for GEOL 118

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit