MCB 252 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Sphingomyelin, Erbb4, Erbb3
43 views13 pages
NAME:_____________________________ NETWORK ID:__________________
Form A KEY
This exam consists of 50 questions for a total of 175 points.
Choose the BEST answer from the available choices.
Questions 1-31 are worth 3 points each.
1. Which of the following molecule(s) is/are used as an intracellular second
B. DAG (1,2-Diacylglycerol)
C. Mg2+ ions
D. Both A and B are correct.
E. Both A and C are correct.
2. The fatty acyl chains form the
A. hydrophilic head groups in the phosphoglyceride molecule.
B. hydrophobic head groups in the phosphoglyceride molecule.
C. hydrophilic tails in the phosphoglyceride molecule.
D. hydrophobic tails in the phosphoglyceride molecule.
E. All of the above answers are correct.
3. Decide whether the following statement is True or False:
In plasma membranes of human erythrocytes, almost all of the phosphatidylcholine
is distributed in the exoplasmic leaflet.
4. Decide whether the following statement is True or False:
In general, biomembranes such as plasma membrane are made up of ONLY
phospholipids and cholesterol and is devoid of proteins.
5. The receptor tyrosine kinase (RTK) generally contains _________transmembrane
6. Among the molecules mentioned below, which of the following is NOT considered
as a phospholipid?
7. Name the family of proteins that facilitates the movement of phospholipids from
one leaflet to another in the plasma membrane.
8. In general, phospholipids with saturated fatty acyl chains
A. decrease membrane fluidity.
B. increase membrane fluidity.
C. make free edges on the biomembranes.
D. allow hydrophilic molecules to diffuse across the lipid bilayer.
E. act as membrane receptors.
9. Name the cellular enzyme in the GPCR pathway that hydrolyzes cAMP (cyclic
AMP) to 5´-AMP.
A. cAMP Phosphodiesterase
B. Adenylyl cyclase
C. Protein kinase A
D. Protein kinase C
E. Protein phosphatase
10. In general, ligand-bound GPCR acts as a Guanine nucleotide exchange factor
C. G-protein α.
D. G-protein β.
E. G-protein γ
11. Cyclic AMP (cAMP) directly binds to the
A. catalytic sub-units of protein kinase A.
B. regulatory sub-units of protein kinase A.
E. G-protein alpha sub-unit.
12. Decide whether the following statement is True or False:
Members of the G proteins that we studied in the class, including Ras, trimeric G-
protein α and Ran, are directly anchored to the cell membrane by fatty acyl chains.
13. Which is the kinase in the RTK/Ras/MAP kinase pathway that upon its activation
forms a dimer and is imported into the cell nucleus?
B. MAP kinase
E. RTK (receptor tyrosine kinase)
14. Which of the following proteins is generally NOT involved in the NF-κB
B. IKK kinase
This exam consists of 50 questions for a total of 175 points. Choose the best answer from the available choices. In plasma membranes of human erythrocytes, almost all of the phosphatidylcholine is distributed in the exoplasmic leaflet: true, false, decide whether the following statement is true or false: In general, biomembranes such as plasma membrane are made up of only phospholipids and cholesterol and is devoid of proteins: true, false. Amp) to 5 -amp: camp phosphodiesterase, adenylyl cyclase, protein kinase a, protein kinase c, protein phosphatase. 3: name the human epidermal growth factor receptor (her)/receptor tyrosine kinase that lacks a ligand-binding domain but contains a functional kinase domain. Small molecules (such as ions) and proteins of molecular weight below 10 kilodaltons (kda) freely pass through the nuclear pore complexes (npcs): true, false, decide whether the following statement is true or false: