MCB 252 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Phase-Contrast Microscopy, Titin, Red Blood Cell

42 views22 pages
Published on 5 Aug 2020
School
University of Illinois
Department
Molecular and Cell Biology
Course
MCB 252
Professor
!
1!
NAME:&_______________________________________&& NETWORK&ID:!__________________________________!!
&
SECTION:&____________________________________&& TA:!________________________________________________!!
!
!
MCB&252&
Exam 3
April 10, 2018
Form A KEY
!
Choose&the&BEST&answer&from&the&available&choices.&
!
Questions&1-5&are&worth&2&points&each.&
!
1.!!As!discussed!in!lecture,!it!is!rare!to!invent!novel!proteins!and!machines!during!the!
course!of!evolution.!!However,!once!a!protein!or!machine!is!invented,!it!is!(relatively)!
common!to!adapt!it!to!different!roles.!
!
A.&TRUE&
B.!FALSE!
!
2.!!As!discussed!in!lecture,!during!metastasis!the!primary!way!tumor!cells!move!from!one!
part!of!the!body!to!another!is!to!passively!float!through!the!blood!or!lymphatic!system.!
!
A.!TRUE!
B.&FALSE!
!
3.!You!have!found!a!way!to!study!a!single!actin!filament!in!vitro.!!Tropomodulin!is!
associated!with!one!end!of!your!filament.!!Assuming!the!concentration!of!actin!is!well!
above!the!critical!concentration!for!both!ends!and!there!is!an!excess!of!ATP!available,!
what!is!happening!at!the!end!of!the!actin!filament!that!is!bound!by!tropomodulin?!
!
A.!There!is!net!assembly.!
B.!There!is!net!disassembly.!
C.&There&is&no&net&assembly&or&disassembly&because&the&end&it&capped.&&
!
4.!Which!of!the!following!is!TRUE?!
!
A.!Myosin!II!has!a!greater!duty!ratio!than!myosin!V.!
B.&Myosin&V&has&a&greater&duty&ratio&than&myosin&II.&
&&
5.!!As!described!in!lecture,!Neanderthals!migrated!out!of!Africa!before!modern!day!humans!
did.!
!
A.&TRUE&
B.!FALSE!
&
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 22 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
!
2!
Questions&6-60&are&worth&3&points&each.!
&
6.!Which!of!the!following!is!correct!with!regard!to!the!two!statements!below?!
!!
i!=!!As!discussed!in!lecture,!apoptosis!occurs!as!a!normal!part!of!development!in!many!
organisms.!
!
ii!=!As!discussed!in!lecture,!apoptosis!can!occur!in!response!to!cellular!damage.!
!!
A.&Both&i&and&ii&are&TRUE.&
B.!i!is!TRUE,!and!ii!is!FALSE.!
C.!i!is!FALSE,!and!ii!is!TRUE.!
D.!Both!i!and!ii!are!FALSE.!!
&
&
7.!Which!of!the!following!is!correct!with!regard!to!the!two!statements!below?!
!
i!=!!As!described!in!lecture,!mutation!of!the!gene!that!encodes!GFP!has!led!to!the!generation!
of!many!different!colors!of!fluorescent!proteins.!
!
ii!=!Anytime!an!antibody!binds!to!a!protein!it!inhibits!the!function!of!that!protein.!
!
A.!Both!i!and!ii!are!TRUE.!
B.&i&is&TRUE,&and&ii&is&FALSE.&
C.!i!is!FALSE,!and!ii!is!TRUE.!
D.!Both!i!and!ii!are!FALSE.!
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
Unlock document

!
3!
In&lecture,&we&talked&about&a&version&of&the&figure&below.&Answer&the&following&
question&based&on&this&figure&and&our&discussion.&
!
!
&
&
8.!Which!of!the!following!is!correct!with!regard!to!the!two!statements!below?!
!!
i!=!!Under!steady!state!conditions,!the!end!labeled!X!has!a!higher!critical!concentration!than!
the!end!labeled!Y.!
!
ii!=!The!end!labeled!X!is!the!plus!end,!and!the!end!labeled!Y!is!the!minus!end.!
!!
A.!Both!i!and!ii!are!TRUE.!
B.!i!is!TRUE,!and!ii!is!FALSE.!
C.&i&is&FALSE,&and&ii&is&TRUE.&
D.!Both!i!and!ii!are!FALSE.!!
!
!
9.!You!are!studying!a!type!of!bacteria!that!has!not!previously!been!studied.!!You!discover!
that!it!can!move!around!inside!eukaryotic!cells!more!rapidly!than!expected!for!
movement!by!diffusion.!!You!add!latrunculin!to!the!cells!and!that!does!not!alter!the!rate!
of!bacterial!movement.!!You!next!add!colchicine!and!find!that!the!bacteria!stop!moving.!!
Which!of!the!following!interpretations!is!most!consistent!with!your!observations?!
!
A.!Movement!of!this!bacteria!is!dependent!on!actin.!
B.!Movement!of!this!bacteria!is!dependent!on!intermediate!filaments.!
C.&Movement&of&this&bacteria&is&dependent&on&microtubules.&
D.!Movement!of!this!bacteria!is!not!dependent!on!any!cytoskeletal!filament.!
E.!Movement!of!this!bacteria!is!dependent!on!all!three!cytoskeletal!filaments.!
!
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
Unlock document

Document Summary

Choose the best answer from the available choices. Questions 1-5 are worth 2 points each: as discussed in lecture, it is rare to invent novel proteins and machines during the course of evolution. Tropomodulin is associated with one end of your filament. In lecture, we talked about a version of the figure below. You discover that it can move around inside eukaryotic cells more rapidly than expected for movement by diffusion. You add latrunculin to the cells and that does not alter the rate of bacterial movement. You next add colchicine and find that the bacteria stop moving. The figure below is part of a larger figure we discussed in lecture. The two proteins shown are actin and profilin. 5: the diagram below was discussed in lecture. What type of microscope is shown in this diagram: a phase contrast microscope, a bright field microscope, a confocal microscope, a fluorescence microscope, an electron microscope.