PSCH 210 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Semantic Memory, Episodic Memory

49 views2 pages
28 Nov 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Views people as computers or implicit scientists who try to predict the world efficiently. Cognition refers to awareness and thinking as well as to specific mental acts such as perceiving, interpreting, remembering, believing, anticipating. The key to understanding personality is understanding how information is stored, processed, and organized. To help me remember: a schema is essentially a mental organization of i(cid:374)for(cid:373)atio(cid:374) o(cid:374) a(cid:374)y give(cid:374) topic. It"s i(cid:374)cludes all the co(cid:374)te(cid:374)t that you"ve accumulated from experience and encoded into memory. So for example, you might have a schema for college, the longer you"ve been here, the more elaborate that schema is likely to be. But we can assume that for each one of you, that schema will include lots of different kinds of information. Episodic memory- organized by sequence of events (space & time) Can be self-perpetuating / self-strengthening: schemas guide what is remembered, what you remember confirms schema, schema continues to guide what is remembered.