BIO 103 Study Guide: Chapter 1
By the end of this chapter, students should be able to:
• Formulate a hypothesis based on observations.
• Distinguish between a hypothesis and a theory
• Give examples of biological theories
• Distinguish between science, technology and pseudoscience
• Distinguish between Inductive and Deductive Reasoning
• Explain who Linus Pauling was and what contributions he
made to science
• Describe what an experiment is and give examples
• Explain the variables that affect the validity of experimental
• Understand what ‘bias’ is and how to prevent it in
• Understand controlled, blind and double-blind experiments.
What is a placebo? Give examples
• Understand difference between experimental and correlational data. What are the limitations of