ME235_Final_F11 (1).pdf

5 Pages

Department
Mechanical Engineering
Course Code
MECHENG 235
Professor
Donald Siegel

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Description
ME 235 FINAL EXAM, December 16, 2011 K. Kurabayashi and D. Siegel, ME Dept. Exam Rules: Open Book and one page of notes allowed. There are 4 problems. Solve each problem on a separate page. Name: __________________________________ I have observed the honor code and have neither given nor received aid on this exam. Signature:____________________________________________ 3 Problem 1. (25 points) A 0.2 m rigid container is initially empty, and connected to a supply line providing superheated water vapor at 500 kPa, 200 °C (see figure below). When the valve connecting the line and container is opened the container is filled from the supply line. When the flow stops, the pressure in the container is the same as the pressure in the line. Assume the process is adiabatic. a) Write appropriate expressions for the continuity, energy and entropy equations b) What is the final temperature of water in the container? c) Find the final mass of the water in the container. d) Find the entropy generation in the process. Line 200°C Container 500  kPa 0.2  m   Problem 2. (25 points) A 2.4 L gasoline engine runs at 2500 RPM with a compression ratio of 9:1. The state before compression is 40 kPa, 280 K and after combustion it is at 2000 K. Assume a 4-stroke Otto cycle. You may use constant specific heats for air. Determine: a) The highest T and P in the cycle b) The specific heat transfer added c) The cycle efficiency d) The exhaust temperature Problem 3. (25 points) A heat pump upgrades 5 MW of heat at 85 C to heat delivered at 150 C. o Assume it has a COP of 2.5. a.) Write appropriate expressions for the energy and entropy equations. b.) Determine the rate of work input and the rate of heat delivery. c.) What are the fluxes of entropy into and out of the heat pump?   d.) What is the rate of entropy generation inside the heat pump?   1   Problem 4 (25 points) Choose the correct answer for each problem. Write down the process of reaching your answer for partial credit. (1) [3 pts] A piston-cylinder device contains 5 kg of air at 400 kPa and 30 °C. During a quasi-equilibrium isothermal expansion process, 15 kJ of boundary work is done by the system, and 3 kJ of paddle-wheel work is done on the system. The heat transfer during this process is (a) 12 kJ (b) 18 kJ (c) 2.4 kJ (d) 3.5 kJ (e) 60 kJ (2) [3 pts] In a shower, cold water at 10°C steadily flowing at a rate of 5 kg/min is mixed with hot water at 60°C steadily flowing at a rate of 2 kg/min. The exit temperature of the mixture is (a) 24.3 °C (b) 35.0 °C (c) 40.0 °C (d) 44.3 °C (e) 55.2 °C (3) [3 pts] A unit mass of a substance undergoes an irreversible process from state 1 to state 2 while gaining heat from the surroundings at temperature T in the amount of q. If the entropy of the substance is s 1t state 1, and s at2state 2, the entropy change of the substance Δs during this process is (a) Δss − (c) Δs=s − (d) Δs=s −qT+ 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 (e) Δ>s −q2 1 (4) [3 pts] Consider a simple ideal Rankine cycle. If the condenser pressure is lowered while keeping turbine inlet state the same, choose all the correct statements among the following. (a) the pump work input will decrease (b) the pump work input will increase (c) the turbine work output will decrease (d) the turbine work output will increase (e) the moisture content (i.e., the amount of liquid water) at turbine exit will increase 3 (5) [13 pts] A thermally insulated rigid container with a volume of 1.0 m is divided into two equal volumes by a partition. Initially, only one side of the container is filled with nitrogen (ideal gas) at 600 kPa, 127°C. The partition ruptures, and the nitrogen fills the both sides at a uniform state. (5-1) [2 pts] This process is (a) Irreversible due to heat transfer (b) Irreversible due to friction (c) Irreversible due to unrestrained expansion, (d) Irreversible due to fluidic work, (e) Reversible (5-2) [4 pts] The final temperature is (a) 200K (b) 300K (c) 400K (d) 500K (e) 600K (5-3) [3 pts] The final pressure is (a) 150 kPa (b) 200 kPa (c) 250 kPa (d) 300 kPa (e) 600 kPa (5-4) [4 pts] The entropy generated by this process is (a) 0 kJ/K (b) 0.11 kJ/K (c) 0.24 kJ/K (d) 0.43 kJ/K (e) 0.52 kJ/K   2   Solutions: Problem 1. C.V. The container volume and any valve out to line. Continuity Eq: m - m 2 m =1m 2 i Energy Eq: m u -2 2u = m1 1= Q - 2 2 mh1= 2h 1 2 i i i i Entropy Eq: m s - 2 2 = m1 1= 2 2 δQT + S1 2n + ms i i ∫ Process: Adiabatic Q 1 02 Rigid W = 0,1Flo2 stops P = Pline 2
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit