How are telephones and televisions part of our (mass) communication?
● Telephone: first communication device allowing people to TALK to each other
regardless of physical distance
○ Originally highly untrusted because our words “disappeared”
○ Initially, we paid for DISTANCE
■ Today, we pay for time
● We do we pay for these things? SOCIAL CONSTRUCTION!
○ Not so many people watch the same event on TV simultaneously anymore
■ 98% of US watched JFK’s funeral as it was broadcast
● This doesn’t really happen anymore
○ Everyone in the US is familiar with the word and concept of “television”
even for those who don’t use/rejects TVs
- What do we ACCEPT about mass media??
(Traditional) Mass Communication: largely one-way; from known sender to
MASS number of anonymous receivers
(Current) Mass Communication: shifting barriers and blurring lines between
sender/receiver; ability for receivers to ALSO be producers (though this is still rare)
● Mass Media
○ Privately owned, advertising driven, profit oriented $$$