Communication
Course
COMM 121
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Winter

Description
March 13, 2014 Advertising, Public Relations.. Advertising ➔ Most successful in an affluent, plentiful society ◆ When the economy struggles, so does advertising ➔ Generates the bulk of revenue in the mass media ◆ Advertising “pays the bills” ◆ Mass media LIMITS distribution of newspapers and magazines to go to only “eyeballs” that can afford to spend money ➔ Give the illusion of choice while actually only giving one side of the story (the product side) Use careful language ◆ ● “Eyelashes will be 150 times longer”...than what?? ● “Lose up to 20 pounds” - includes 0 pounds Advertisements are literally everywhere and embedded in the every text we ➔ encounter ◆ On our bodies - branded clothing ◆ Billboards - drive down Mass Pike, to Boston ◆ Commercials - breaks in our television programs ◆ Once DVR and Hulu and Netflix gain popularity, PRODUCT PLACEMENT becomes hugely present IN shows rather than during commercials ◆ “Aspirational eyeballs” ◆ “Eyeballs that have some money” ● Different classes of people that advertisers target ● Both as valuable ● “Aspirational eyeballs” will work to spend money, while “eyeballs that have some money” will spend immediately ◆ Movies - previews are advertisements ◆ Internet - in general, the Internet is a traditional place for advertisements ➔ Make some degree of purchase ◆ “I want that. I will work hard for that.” ◆ “Please hand over your bills: cash or credit card.” ◆ *Illusion of choice* ◆ Advertisement helps us buy an image as much as we buy a product ● Purchasing a product that helps facilitate a lifestyle ○ “Being cool” ◆ “Martha Stewart” ● Brands being a housewife ● The name becomes a product “Aspirational Purpose” ◆ ◆ “The more you purchase, the better you are” - difficult position to be in when you do not have financial backing to do this ➔ Purchase Repeatedly ◆ “This is why your phone breaks” within a few yea
More Less

Related notes for COMM 121

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit