Economics
Course
ECON 104
Professor
Valerie Voorheiis
Semester
Fall

Description
1. Social Security is a system of insurance that may run into trouble meeting some of its’  obligations by 2033.  What are things we could do to make sure that doesn’t happen?  What are  things we could do to make the situation, for  current 20 year olds, worse for their retirement? To ensure that Social Security doesn’t run into issues down the road, the economy must improve.  Data strongly correlates the strength of the economy with the amount of time the Social Security  trust funds will have sufficient amounts of money to make the payments. This means that we, or  the government, must not give tax cuts such as the ones President George Bush installed during  his presidency. Basically, we must run a surplus economy to increase the span of time for which  the funds are expected to reliably make payments.  2.  What would a good economy look like for you, when you graduate?  Discuss relative to the three  goals of economics       If a good economy did exist when I graduate in about two years, it would hold tremendous  implications for me and my search of a job. Although I am an engineering major and would have an  easier time finding a job than most, a good economy would facilitate this massively. Essentially, this  good economy should have relatively low unemployment, stable growth (around 4% ideally), and  stable prices on everyday commodities. For most college grads, low unemployment would be the most  important factor. However, as an engineering major, the most important factors for me would be stable  growth and price stability. Since finding a job will be easier for me than others, the ability to grow and  make a profit in an entrepreneurial environment would be pinnacle. 3. What is the current state of unemployment?  Discuss The current state of unemployment is 7.0% (November 2013). This is down from last month’s value of  7.3%, and nearly a whole point down from the beginning of the year. This slow progress is somewhat  comforting, but not quick enough to end the depression by the predi
More Less

Related notes for ECON 104

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit