[GEOG 155] - Final Exam Guide - Ultimate 55 pages long Study Guide!

79 views55 pages
29 Nov 2016
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Define: how people see themselves @ different scales: people construct their own identities through experiences, emotions, connections, and rejections, fluid, constantly changing, shifting, becoming, place is part of our identity c. i. People have different identities @ various scales c. ii. When people make places they do so in the context of surrounding social relationships: identifying against is one of the most powerful ways to construct an identity d. i. Define: defining how the other and then defining ourselves as. Ex: europeans defined people in asia as mystical" others, in africa & america as mystical" and savage" others. Define: a categorization of humans based on skin color and other physical characteristics: biological differences are simply different combinations of physical attributes in the human population a. i. Some argue that the differences likely result from a long history of adaption to different environments a. ii. Skin color is not a reliable indicator of genetic closeness b.