PHIL 2215 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Firm Foundation, Mental Property, Cosmological Argument

29 views17 pages

Document Summary

Explain: depends on the connotation/interpretation of the word and its definition, descartes says heat is a mode of the mind (p. 45 @ bottom) iii. Moreover, since knowledge requires certainty according to descartes, he concludes that he cannot know anything on the basis of sensory perceptions. b. Furthermore, even when a painter creates something entirely new, at least the colors in the painting are drawn from real experience; the same is true of dream experiences Descartes reevaluates their certainty through the evil genius argument. Descartes reasons that since such a scenario is possible, he cannot be certain of any of his beliefs and therefore, since knowledge requires indubitability, he reaches the conclusion that he cannot know anything. Descartes says that it is impossible to doubt these beliefs. Descartes says in the passage above that "the proposition i am, i exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind".

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers