CHE 253 Exam #3 Study Guide
1. Explain and apply Gibbs Phase Rule.
2. Identify a phase diagram based on its’ shape and describe the phases present and the
composition of each phase based on the temperature and overall composition of the
3. Calculate the fraction of phases present in a material using the lever rule.
4. Describe the evolution of phase structure during cooling based on the phase diagram.
5. Describe the differences between homogeneous and heterogeneous nucleation using the
change in free energy for the system.
6. Determine the critical radius and free energy required for homogeneous nucleation.
7. Calculate the degree of phase transformation that has occurred using the Avarami equation.
8. Define Ohm’s law.
9. Define the resistivity and the cond