PSY 103 Final: PSY 103 EXAM 3 REVIEW

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Rhode Island
PSY 103
Starkey Michael

PSY 103 Exam 3 Study Guide Chapter 13: Careers and Work • Family influences on choosing a career- what your parents do, what messages you received about what a good career is, etc • Where to find information on choosing a job and how to find different job characteristics- mentors, professors, people in the field, occupational outlook handbook • Considerations you should take into account when choosing a career-potential for success in a variety of occupations, success is linked to mobility, be cautious about choosing a job solely based on salary, etc…. *Carlos is thinking of changing majors and career choice. He should find out… B. What day to day duties and responsibilities would be expected * • Holland’s person-environment fit model- if my interests match the work environment, I will have more meaning, peoples interests should match job.. *According to John Holland’s trait measurement and matching model of career development, which of the following personal orientations wold be most compatible with a job as a nurse? A. Social* o Realistic type- work with hands, physical tasks o Investigative type- scientists, raise questions o Artistic type- artists o Social type- teachers, nurses, etc o Enterprising type- business people o Conventional type- office work • What specific aptitude is becoming more desirable in the workforce? - social skills needed • Know what an industrial/organizational psychologist does- psychologists who studies behavior in the work force • Know what sexual harassment is- employees subjected to unwanted sexual advances • Know what burnout is- feeling exhausted, performing more poorly • Know what kinds of jobs produce the most stress- *jobs with___ and _____ are considered the most stressful. D. high psychological demands; low decision control* • Know what intrinsic job satisfaction is- what I get in a personal level from my job, ex: happiness, etc Chapter 14: Psychological Disorders • Medical model- abnormal behavior is a disease or illness • Know difference between diagnosis, etiology, and prognosis- diagnosis- diagnosing based on distinction between disorders, etiology- where does it come from, is it biological, environmental, etc, prognosis- what is the likely outcome of this based on what we know • Criteria of abnormal behavior- deviance, maladaptive behavior, personal distress • OCD is- obsessive compulsive disorder • Agoraphobia- afraid to leave your house • Know what dissociative identity disorder is- multiple personality disorder, existence of 2 or more distinct personalities in a person • Major depression is- persistent loss of interest and sadness • Bipolar disorder is- major depressive episode and manic e
More Less

Related notes for PSY 103

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.