Chemistry (139)
CH 301 (62)

CH 301 Exam 1 Question Type Notes.docx

9 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Texas at Austin
CH 301
Dave A.Laude

Question Types Notes 1. Electromagnetic radiation theory and calculation a. It is used to probe the molecular, atomic and subatomic nature of matter b. Classified by either frequency or wavelength i. they have an inverse relationship through the constant c [speed of light] c. Calculation i. E = hv 1. E = energy -34 2. h = Planck’s constant (6.6 x 10 J s) 3. v = EMR frequency ii. v = c/λ 1. v = frequency 8 2. c = speed of light (3.0 x 10 m/s) d. Ranking EMR spectrum in terms of E, wavelength (λ) and frequency (v) i. Higher the frequency, the smaller the wavelength ii. Frequency rank (highest to lowest) 1. x-ray  ultraviolet  visual light  infrared ray  microwave  radio iii. Wavelength rank (highest to lowest) 1. radio  microwave  infrared ray  visual light  ultraviolet  x- ray iv. Energy rank (highest to lowest) 1. x-ray  ultraviolet  visual light  infrared ray  microwave  radio 2. Classical theory falls apart a. Blackbody radiators i. Wave theory that suggests blackbodies (heat sources) transmit radiation at all frequency. (FALSE) 1. Planck’s development of a particle model for EMR helped prove this theory false a. There’s a cutoff in the ultraviolet region b. Photoelectric effect i. States that if you shine light on a metal, at a certain frequency, electrons are emitted. (INCONSISTENT) 1. Einstein helped pointed out the consistencies of the theory a. Stated that a minimum frequency is needed before an electron is ejected 2 ii. E = mv c. Emission spectra i. Balmer discovered that the emission spectra were not continuous, but discrete lines with the method of electrocuting gases 3. Rydberg equation calculation a. He came up with an equation to describe the separation in frequency between the discrete lines i. V = R 15 1. R = Rydberg constant (3.289 x 10 Hz) 2. N 1 lower energy level 3. N = upper energy level 2 Question Types Notes 4. Particle in a box theory a. A box with an electron with the box’s potential at V(x) = 0 everywhere b. Boundary conditions i. At the edges of the box, the fixed points determine which psi Ѱ) are possible c. d. E = i. As L, length of box, increases, ∆E gets smaller which is why L is macroscopic ii. E can’t be zero 1. Because the uncertainty principle doesn’t permit particle to lose all energy and become fixed e. Ѱ = 5. Uncertainty principle theory and calculation a. h ≤ 2m∆v∆x bar i. hbar= = 1.05 x 10-3Js ii. ∆v= frequency iii. ∆x = location 6. deBroglie equation theory and calculation a. deBrolgie made an equation that would predict the sign of matter waves i. λ = 1. λ = wavelength 2. m = mass 3. v = velocity 4. p = momentum ii. inverse relationship between mass and wavelength 7. Schrodinger and wave equations theory a. Ѱ = psi = is the wave function he wanted to identify 2 b. Ѱ = psi squared = yields the probability that a particle will be in a certain volume c. He discovered the principle quantum number n Question Types Notes 8. Applying quantum number rules a. 9. Applying quantum number rules a. 10. Applying Aufbau, Pauli and Hund a. Aufbau principle i. Always fill electron orbits with the orbits that are closest to the nucleus ii. This is the lowest energy or ground state configuration b. Pauli exclusion principle i. Never put more than 2 paired electrons in an orbit ii. No two electrons can have the same four quantum numbers iii. The two electrons in each orbit must have opposite spin iv. c. Hunds rule i. Must distribute the electrons between the orbitals as much as possible to minimize electron repulsion effects ii. 11. Assigning electronic configurations of atoms and ions a. We can substitute chunks of filled orbitals as noble gas symbols like [He] or [Fe] Question Types Notes b. 12. Assigning electronic configurations of atoms and ions (exceptions) 1 5 a. d half-fille1 10s d b. d filled = s d 13. Assigning electronic configurations of atoms and ions (exceptions) 1 4 a. Large metals with valence p to p electrons (far bottom right of periodic table) b. Remove them so that a filled d can be created c. Electrons lost from large ions come off in the following order: p first, s second, d last 14. Periodic table nomenclature a. b. Know what group, period, family, transition, shell, subshell, orbital, etc. Question Types Notes 15. Theory of periodic trends: ENC explains IE, EA, AR, IR, metals a. Shielding and effective nuclear charge (ENC) i. ENC and size has inverse relationship 1. ENC decreases, size increases; ENC increases, size decreases ii. ENC = (# of protons in nucleus) – (# of shielding inner shell electrons) iii. 1. The bigger the ENC, the more attraction to the nucleus and the sm
More Less

Related notes for CH 301

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.