ngac (ttn793) – H01: Basic Fundamentals – mccord – (51600) 1
This print-out should have 16 questions.
Multiple-choice questions may continue on 3. silver
the next column or page – ﬁnd all choices
before answering. 4. silicon correct
001 10.0 points The symbol for silicon is Si.
Give the names for the symbols Fe, Hg, N,
Au, and Ne (in that order).
004 10.0 points
What is the symbol for the element lead?
1. ﬂuorine, hydrogen, nitrogen, gold, neon
1. Pb correct
2. iron, hydrogen, nickel, gold, nitrogen
3. iron, mercury, nitrogen, silver, neon
4. iron, mercury, nitrogen, gold, neon cor- 3. Ld
5. ﬂuorine, mercury, nickel, silver, neon Explanation:
The symbol for lead is Pb.
Fe is iron, Hg is mercury, N is nitrogen, Au
005 10.0 points
is gold, and Ne is neon. Which of the following is a chemical property
002 10.0 points
Identify the symbols for the elements phos- 1. burns in air correct
phorus, potassium, silver, chlorine, and sul-
fur, in that order. 2. dissolves in carbon disulﬁde
1. Ph, K, Ag, S, Cl 3. density of 2.07 g/ml
2. K, Ag, Po, Cl, S 4. melts at 119 C
3. P, K, Ag, Cl, Scorrect
Burning in air as opposed to melting or dis-
4. P, Po, Ag, Cl, S solving shows a change it undergoes in chem-
ical composition. Melting and dissolving are
physical properties not chemical.
5. Ph, Po, Ag, Al, S
Explanation: 006 10.0 points
The symbol for phosphorus is P, for potas- Which of the following describes a chemical
sium K, for silver Ag, for chlorine Cl, and for
1. water is heated from 0Cto50 ▯C
003 10.0 points
What is the element symbolized by Si? 2. alcohol evaporates
1. sulfur 3. gasoline burns in an engine correct
2. sodium 4. wood is carved ngac (ttn793) – H01: Basic Fundamentals – mccord – (51600) 2
Explanation: 2. heat of fusion
substances are consumed (at least partially), 3. mass correct
and one or more new substances are formed.
007 10.0 points Explanation:
Which of the following describes a physical Extensive properties are those which de-
pend on the amount of substance present.
Mass depends and is directly proportional to
1. Food is digested in the stomach. the amount of matter present.
2. Wood burns
010 10.0 points
Which of the following is an extensive prop-
3. Plants decompose in a compost pile. erty?
4. Ice melts correct
1. 140 calories per tablespoon
5. Iron rusts 2. 3.58 dollars/pound
Aphihgeustiocne 3. 3miles correct
in chemical composition. Melting involves no