Carbohydrates - Made of sugars & their polymers
- Small (sugars) or chains (cellulose)
- Monomers= simple sugars
-2 ex of monomers are glucose & fructose
-When you add water, they circle up around the water. They’re no
longer a chain.
- Carbohydrates are the primary source of energy.
- When we eat carbs, most of the sugar largely gets used up.
- Glucose in your blood: 3 fates
1. If energy is needed:
- the molecular bonds are broken down by your cells.
- Then energy is released and used.
2. If energy isn’t needed:
• Short term: link together to form glycogen
• Long term: convert