CHEM 301- Midterm Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam ( 22 pages long!)

22 Pages
Unlock Document

Virginia Commonwealth University
CHEM 301
Linda Chang

[CHEM 301] Comprehensive spring guide including any lecture notes, textbook notes and exam guides.find more resources at Organic Chemistry 301 Chapter One: Structure and Bonding Organic Chemistry • C,H,O,N,P are ▯ato▯s of life▯-form amino acids, nucleic acids, and basic structures of protei▯s, e▯zy▯es, hor▯o▯es, re▯eptors, DNA▯s, a▯d ‘NA▯s • Carbon is a group 4A element; carbon can share four valence electrons and form four covalent bonds • Organic chemistry is the chemistry of carbon-containing compounds • Organic compounds contain: C,H,O,N,(P,S, halogens) Electronic Structure of the Atom • The Atom o Consists of 1) the nucleus* [positively charged, very dense and small] diameter: 10^-▯▯ ▯▯ ▯▯ ele▯tro▯s ▯▯e▯, ▯egati▯ely ▯harged▯ are i▯ the spa▯e arou▯d the nucleus o *the ▯u▯leus ▯o▯tai▯s proto▯s ▯▯p▯, positi▯ely ▯harged▯ a▯d ▯eutro▯s ▯▯▯▯, ▯o charge) • Isotopes o Isotopes are atoms with the same number of protons but different number of neutrons o Mass number is the sum of the protons and neutrons in an atom • Electron Shells and Orbitals o Electrons are very light, they begave both as particles and as waves o Electrons associated with nuclei are lo▯ated i▯ ▯or▯itals▯- each type of orbital has an energy and a shape associated with it: s=spherical; p=dumbbell shaped; d=clover shaped • Relative Orbital Energies o N= energy level of orbital; l= shape of orbital; ml= orientation of orbitals • Electronic Structure of the Atom find more resources at
More Less

Related notes for CHEM 301

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.