1) In order for the criminal enterprise to successfully conduct studies of crime and develop
criminological theories, they must have valid measures of crime.
2) Deviant behavior departs from social norms.
3) The influence of the media leads to an increase in the public’s fear of crime.
4) Criminologists must use the scientific method to study crime.
5) The Code of Hammurabi established a system of crime and punishment based on
physical retaliation. But, the severity of this physical retaliation depended upon one’s:
6) Hypotheses are tested using scientific methods to validate criminological theories.
7) Criminologists who devote their studies to how the system operates, how criminals are
treated, and how policies shape crimes rates and trend focus on: social control
8) The study of agencies of social control such as the police, courts, and corrections is:
9) Criminology is an academic discipline that makes use of scientific methods to study the
nature, extent, cause, and control of criminal behavior.
10) Criminologists use scientific methods to study the nature, extent, cause, and control of
1) Richmond (VA) Police Department used crime mapping to identify and target locations
associated with increased random gunfire during the previous year’s New Year’s Eve
holiday in order to deploy police resources to those areas.
2) Which of the following methods does the UCR (uniformed crime report) use to express
crime data? Crime rates per 100,000 people.
3) Criminologists collect and analyze crime data in order to measure the nature and extent
of criminal behavior and the personality, attitudes, and background of criminal
4) Observing a group of people who share a like characteristic, overtime, is termed cohort. 5) If criminologists want to see the direct effect of one factor on another, such as
determining whether viewing a violent TV show will cause viewers to act aggressively,
they conduct experimental research.
6) When discussing future trends in crime, Steffensmeir and Harer believe that differences
in policing practices partially account for the ecology of crime
7) What trends in violent and property victimizations are indicated in the NCVS data? Both
violent and property victimizations have decreased since the early 90s.
8) When researchers wants a snapshot of what is going on at one point in the they conduct
9) Validity issues impact the UCR. Which of the following best portrays the validity
concerns/s for this data collection method? Reporting practices, methodological
problems, and law enforcement practices.
10) How is age correlated with crime? Age is inversely related to crime, younger people
commit more crime.
1) Although differences between the UCR and NCVS abound, the greatest distinction
between the two has to do with: *
2) Validity issues impact the UCR.