Industrialization and the Well-Being of Workers: Forming Ethical
Reviewing Company Villages
• What was good about them?
o Less likely to starve because they have access to shelter and food
o Some of the villages have guaranteed long-term employment
• What was bad about them?
o No way to communicate with management that they want something to change; if
they do that, they’ll get fired
o Your time will be all tied up
o Recreation goes away or changes into something that your boss finds
o Change in diet can change based on what is in the company store
Hard-To-Measure Factors: Freedom
• What does ‘freedom’ mean in the context of an economy?
• What gives us more or less freedom?
• Which freedoms are more important to us? Less important?
Review on Women and Work
• What happened in the Industrial Revolution that was arguably good for women?
o Can argue that the economic dependence of freedom led to women having the
right to vote