PSYCH 105 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Implicit-Association Test, Cognitive Dissonance, Likert Scale

56 views4 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

An evaluation of an object in a positive or negative fashion that includes 3 components: affect: disgust toward seaworld, behavior: don"t go to seaworld, cognition: facts about death statistics/teeth/etc. Response latency: the amount of time it takes to respond to a stimulus, such as an attitude question: time it takes me to answer the above question. We tend to change our attitudes to match our behaviors: not the other way around! Cognitive consistency: we are motivated to rationalize/justify our behaviors. Induced/forced compliance unpleasant effort: subtly compel people to behave in a manner that is consistent with their beliefs/attitudes/values, elicits dissonance, motivated to change their original views. Alternative explanation of behavior"s influence on attitude. When we are unsure of our attitudes, we infer them by looking at our behavior. People will work to justify their effort towards a goal by placing greater value on goal: if i worked this hard, i must really want it, ex.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers