For unlimited access to Study Guides, a Grade+ subscription is required.
A meristematic cell located in the root apical meristem before it has started to undergo cell division was discovered to contain 20 DNA molecules. Answer the following questions concerning DNA and chromosomes number during mitosis and after mitosis. Are sister chromatids of prophase chromosomes genetically alike?
1. only one chromosome of a homologous pair is present in a cell
2. sister chromatids seperate
3. homologous chromosomes pair up
4. parent cell and daughter cells are genetically identical to each other
5. chromosomes replicate before nuclear division
6. crossing over
7. involved in growth and repair
8. homologous chromosomes separate
9. synthesis of sister chromatids before division
10. independent assortment
A. occurs ONLY in meiosis
B. occurs in BOTH mitosis and meiosis
C. occurs ONLY in mitosis
Indicate whether the following outcomes of cell division are observed in mitosis only, meiosis only, or both mitosis and meiosis. Sister chromatids are separated. mitosis only meiosis only both mitosis and meiosos Contains only one cellular division mitosis only both mitosis and meiosos meiosis only DNA is replicated prior to cell division. both mitosis and meiosos mitosis only meiosis only A diploid parent cell produces haploid daughter cells. mitosis only both mitosis and meiosos meiosis only Daughter cells are genetically identical to parent cell. meiosis only