BIO 269 Quiz: Anatomy 2 Lecture Exam 3 Study Guide

2 Pages
Unlock Document

West Chester University
BIO 269
Giovanni Casotti

Bio 269 Lecture Exam 3 Study Guide Authored by Dr. Giovanni Casotti In General The exam will consist of 50 multiple choice questions with 4 alternatives each. To successfully answer the questions you may be required to incorporate information from more than 1 slide or even 1 lecture. This means that you should not try an d memorize the information, rather understand it. Physiology cannot be memorized (as with Anatomy). The exam shall consist of the following lectures: Respiration I, II, III, Renal I, II. Bring your student ID, a calculator, a good eraser and at least 1 presharpened dark pencil to the exam. Disclaimer: This study guide is NOT meant to be a comprehensive list of everything you need to know but it gives you a very good start. The Specifics Respiration I 1. Understand what is meant by partial pressure of a gas and what gases are in what abundance in air. 2. Know the order of gas solubility between the alveoli and the pulmonary capillaries. 3. Know the composition of gases in the alveoli and why it is different than the atmosphere. 4. Know the gas pressure gradients i n the pulmonary and systemic circuits and why they change. 5. Understand the importance in surface area to optimizing gases in the lungs. 6. Understand ventilation perfusion coupling. 7. Understand how hemoglobin (Hb) works to transport both O and CO . 2 2 8. Understand the O sa2uration curve and factors that can decrease O ability2to bind to Hb. 9. Know the different types of hypoxia. 10. Understand the different ways that CO 2 is transported in whole blood and the chemistry behind it. Respiration II 1. Know the anatomy and func tions of the conductive and respiratory pathways. 2. Know the pleural layers of , and surrounding the lungs. 3. Understand how the lungs are ventilated by negative intrapulmonary pressure. 4. Know what is meant by transpulmonary and intrapleural pressure. 5. Understand what causes resistance of air into the lungs and how to alter it. Know the equation given in the lecture. 6. Understand how you can change the pressure between the atmosphere and the alveoli to allow more air to enter the lungs. 7. Understand what is meant by l ung compliance. 8. Understand how a respirometer is used to gather pulmonary function data in humans, and define and understand each of the variables obtained from a pulmonary function test. 9. Know what the different types of dead space are and how they relate to lung efficiency. Respiration III 1. Know how to calculate alveolar ventilation rate, what factor affects it the most and why. 2. Know what part of the nervous system controls respiration and how it operates. 3. What gas controls respiration depth and rate? How are changes in the level of this gas detected? 4. What is the normal respiratory reflex called and how is it controlled? 5. What are an increase in PCO and2a decline in PO called2 1 of 2
More Less

Related notes for BIO 269

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.