POLIS 1104 Chapter Notes - Chapter 5: Leninism, Jiang Zemin, Deng Xiaoping

40 views3 pages
Kerry Bro, The Chiese Couist Partys Eolutio, i Czes Tuileiz, Critial
Issues in Contemporary China (London: Routledge, 2017), pp.19-34
1. Idetif the authos ai aguet p.9
That the reason the CCP has been able to stay in power since 1949 is because they have remained
flexible, only focusing on areas that need complete control.
2. Ho does the autho defie the CCPs oe ojeties? p.9
The CCPs oe issio is to eai the uotested poe i the Peoples ‘epuli of Chia.
3. Why does the author discuss the disappearance of mass campaigns in post-Mao China? How
significant is that disappearance? (pp.20-21)
The ass apaigs ee suh as sigifiat pat of Maos leadeship. They invaded every aspect of
life in each individual household. The loss of these campaigns is significant because of this
4. The author mentions a few names that you might not be too familiar with, including Mao
Zedong, Zhou Enlai, Jiang Qing, Hua Guofeng, Deng Xiaoping, Jiang Zemin, Hu Jintao, Xi
Jinping. Try to find out who these leaders are before proceeding with your reading.
Mao Zedong chairman of the CCP until his death. Led the communist revolution in 1949, and the
cultural revolution in 70s.
Zhou Enlai premier of the PRC from 1949 until his death
Jiang Qing Maos aliious thid ife, ho as head of the gag of fou. “he as a atess ad
ran the cultural programs in communist china
Hua Guofeng chairman of the CCP and also the Premier, was the transitional leader after Mao, but
wash pushed out of power by Deng Xiaoping.
Deng Xiaoping Chairman of the CCP, led China into the modern world, and steered it into mass
production. Famously said it does not matter whether the cat is black or white, so long as it catches
the mouse.
Jiang Zemin general secretary of the CCP from 1989 to 2004
Xi Jinping current general secretary, and president of China.
5. On p.20, the author mentions the Gang of Four. Find out what does it stands for.
The Gang of Four was a political fatio of fou CCP offiials. Maos thid ife Jiag Qig as the
leader of the group. There were prominent during the cultural revolution and then were later
charged with treasonous crimes.
6. O p., the autho etios the CCPs tasitio fo a eolutionary to a ruling party.
What does he mean?
He means that the CCP no longer influenced every part of the Chinese economy and society, instead
withdrawing into the places where it felt it needed to be the most influential, while also leaving
framework for other social forces to become active
7. Ho do Chiese Costitutio ad CCP Costitutio haateize the CCPs ole i goeig
China? (p.21)
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Kerry bro(cid:449)(cid:374), (cid:858)the chi(cid:374)ese co(cid:373)(cid:373)u(cid:374)ist party(cid:859)s e(cid:448)olutio(cid:374)(cid:859), i(cid:374) czes tu(cid:271)ile(cid:449)i(cid:272)z, criti(cid:272)al. Issues in contemporary china (london: routledge, 2017), pp. 19-34. That the reason the ccp has been able to stay in power since 1949 is because they have remained flexible, only focusing on areas that need complete control: ho(cid:449) does the autho(cid:396) defi(cid:374)e the ccp(cid:859)s (cid:272)o(cid:396)e o(cid:271)je(cid:272)ti(cid:448)e(cid:894)s(cid:895)? (cid:894)p. (cid:1005)9(cid:895) The (cid:373)ass (cid:272)a(cid:373)paig(cid:374)s (cid:449)e(cid:396)e su(cid:272)h as sig(cid:374)ifi(cid:272)a(cid:374)t pa(cid:396)t of mao(cid:859)s leade(cid:396)ship. They invaded every aspect of life in each individual household. The loss of these campaigns is significant because of this: the author mentions a few names that you might not be too familiar with, including mao. Zedong, zhou enlai, jiang qing, hua guofeng, deng xiaoping, jiang zemin, hu jintao, xi. Try to find out who these leaders are before proceeding with your reading. Mao zedong chairman of the ccp until his death. Led the communist revolution in 1949, and the cultural revolution in 70s.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers