10012 Chapter Notes - Chapter Tutorial 4 Discussion: Body Image, Psychoeducation, Health Psychology
4 pages61 viewsFall 2018
SchoolUniversity of Canberra
DepartmentUniversity of Canberra
ChapterTutorial 4 Discussion
This preview shows page 1. to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Tutorial 4 – Constraints and Limitations in Sports Psychology
What sort of people and groups might be in need of support from an exercise
Exercise psychologists work with the general public to increase motivation and
participation in exercise, encouraging a healthy lifestyle and advising on the
psychosocial benefits that exercise can offer.
• In patients at the hospital
• Rehab patients
• Older population to ensure they continue exercise to assist with maintaining bone
strength and cognitive function etc
• Obese population to get them started and moving
What sort of problems and issues might they have?
• No motivation to do exercise
• Balancing their lifestyle to ensure they can do some physical activity
• counselling clients who are ill, in poor physical or mental health and who may benefit
from participation in more regular exercise
• advising individuals about the benefits, both physical and psychological, that can be
derived from exercise
• working with individuals and groups in a variety of settings including GP surgeries,
employers' premises, the client's home, clinical settings and local fitness centres
• devising, implementing and evaluating exercise programs based on the needs of the
• providing counselling and consultations to a cross-section of the public including people
who are depressed, GP referrals, people in prison or groups of employees as part of a
• Fear of re-injury
• Financial limitations or issues
What other professional and/or practitioners might also be working with the client at
the same time?
• Personal trainers
• Gym instructors
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version
Loved by over 2.2 million students
Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.