Course Code
SPAN 1013
Professor
Thon Sonia
Chapter

Page:
of 2
Lección 1 (Lesson 1)
*The letter with the accent is the syllable that you emphasize when speaking.
Some possibly tricky vocabulary:
Saludos (Greetings):
Buenas tardes--- Good afternoon, (can also mean good [early] evening)
Buenas noches--- Good night, (can also be used to say good [late] evening)
¿Cómo está usted? --- The foral ersio of Ho are ou?, i other ords ou ould
use this when speaking to a teacher, professor, a stranger or someone who is in
authority (i.e. a boss), note that you do ot atuall eed to sa the ord usted as it is
iplied  the lak of a s at the ed of the ord está. “ee et oa. ord
¿Cómo estás tú? --- The iforal ersio of Ho are ou?, ou ould use this he
speaking to friends, family or people that you are familiar with. Similarly, to the
preious greetig, the ord tú does ot eed to e said. It is iplied  the letter s
at the ed of the ord estás. This is due to the ojugatio of ers ad ill e
explained more thoroughly in later lessons)
¿Qué tal? --- Ho’s it goig?, this is informal (i.e. should not be used with professors,
strangers, etc.)
*Reeer: Usted is foral ad Tú is iforal
Respuestas (Answers):
Bien, gracias --- Well, thank you.
Mal --- Badly.
*Note that the ord Mu Ver a e plaed efore the aoe asers. For eaple: Mu
bien, gracias. (Very well, thank you.)
¿Y tú? --- And you? (the informal version), ou do eed to sa the ord tú i this ase
because there is no other word to indicate who you are speaking to.
find more resources at oneclass.com
¿Y usted? --- And you? (the formal version), ou eed to sa usted i this ase as there
is no other word to indicate who you are speaking to.
Despedidas (Farewells):
Buenas noches --- Good night or good [late] evening, this is used as both a greeting and
a farewell.
Presentaciones (Introductions):
¿Cómo se llama usted? --- What’s our ae? foral ersio, as ith the greetigs
Ho are ou?, ou do ot eed to sa the ord usted. It is iplied eause of the
cojugatio of the ord llaa. Do’t orr too uh aout ojugatio as this has’t
been covered yet. Istead ou ould sa  ¿Cóo se llaa?
¿Cómo se llamas tú? --- What’s our ae the iforal ersio, ou do ot eed to
sa the ord tú as it is implied eause of the ojugatio of the ord llaas.
Istead ou ould sa ¿Cóo se llaas?