Introduction to Politics
What is Politics?
- Ancient Greek origin: Polis ---> city state/community
- Aristotle believed that all citizens are members of a community and so have responsibility
- Politics is “Who gets what, when, and how” (Harold Lasswell)
- Politics is struggle for power/dominance/advantage within society.
- Politics boils down to the distribution of things that are valued in a society
-----> (e.g. healthcare, education, security, food, jobs, money)
- Politics depends on differences in opinion or interests.
- Politics usually involves a desire to resolve these conflicts.
- Textbooks definition of p