SCIE 1P50 Chapter Notes - Chapter 4: Organism, Potential Energy, Ecolo
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Class #10! ! Science & Society! October. 5, 2011
What is Ecology?
- Literally study of one’s “house”
- Two Components
- Broadest biological ﬁeld of study
- A scientist will most likely choose their favorite organism and study on it
- A group of individuals in close proximity in order to interbreed
- Community - an assemblage of species living in the same place at the same time
- Members interact with each other
- Interactions determine the structure, function, and species composition of the
- Law of Conservation of Matter
- Cannot create or destroy matter
- Only change form of matter
- Capacity or ability to do work
- Flows through ecosystems
- Why do organisms need energy?
- Different Kinds
- Potential energy
- Kinetic Energy - energy due to motion
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version