Art History
Course
ARTH 1100
Professor
Cristina S Martinez
Semester
Fall

Description
CHAPTER FIVE: ANCIENT GREECE 1. ANCIENT GREECE  900­30 BCE a. Geometric and Orientalizing i. Revival of figure paintings  b. Archaic i. Construction of the oldest peripteral Doric and Ionic temples ii. Black and red figure vase paintings iii. EXAMPLES 1. Exekias a. Achilles and Ajax playing dice game b. Ready for battle; armed; stance ready to get up/at  edge of seat c. “calm before the storm” 2. Kouros/Anavysos a. Earliest life­size statuary b. Kouros=youth c. Body ready in position, sense of movement d. Pride/self­confidence e. Completely naked 3. Peplos Kore a. Woman are always clothed; wearing peplos=long  garment b. Less detail  4. Herkles wrestling Antaios a. Profile view b. Movement; action c. Emphasis on power/muscle d. Closer to earth=more power  c. Early and High Classical i. Contrapposto introduced in Greek statuary ii. Sense=balance iii. System of proportion=mathematical
More Less

Related notes for ARTH 1100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit