Monday March 10, 2014
White facing in Asia is the inverse of the black facing beyonce
The black facing Africa and white facing of Asia about whiteness and the coloniality of
the post colonial phenomenon of skin whitening an its power to impose a new global
“Black models are used as contrast” student
White facing Asia, the global look and the Eurasian model
• Globe trade of skin whitening is creating new norms of beauty.
• Global trade of skin whitening has close relationship with the cosmetics, fashion
and beauty contest industries.
• These industries support the emergence of the global look
(a narrow image of femininity and beauty standards)
• The “Eurasian” model as new Asian globalizing face of beauty
• Vogue now has specific race/cultural magazine.
Colonaility of the postcolonial whiteness
• Whose debt?: Globalization and whitefacing in Asia (2003), Goon and Craven
(2003), have explained the current aggressive marketing of skinwhitening
cosmetics to Asian women in Malaysia.
Global look and the Eurasian