SOCI 3005 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Pierre Bourdieu, Heterodoxy, Antinomy

Department
Sociology
Course Code
SOCI 3005
Professor
Paulson Justin G
Chapter

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Week 1 – 9 th
Sept 2015
Pierre Bourdieu, “Vive la Crise! For Heterodoxy in Social Science,” Theory and Society
17:5 (1988), 773-787.
Stuart Hall, “Cultural Studies and its Theoretical Legacies,” in D. Morley and K.H. Chen,
eds., Stuart Hall: Critical Dialogues in Cultural Studies (New York: Routledge, 1992),
262-275.
This week readings included Pierre Bourdieu and Stuart Hall. The common theme
that I came across in both the readings was that both the authors were questioning the
notion of institutionalization. Bourdieu provides a much more in-depth look at how
theoretical work has been institutionalized throughout the 20th century, and offers reader a
thought on how to break through the 20th century theories, and develop their own theories
about the social world around them, by placing themselves as the centre of the object.
Hall on the other hand looks at how theoretical work outside of institutions can only
emerge with certain “interruptions”. This poses an interesting question, as individuals, are
our lives confined within the social institutions that we interact on a daily basis,
constraining our thinking boundaries within the walls of those institutions? This is
something that is also facilitated by media. The real world interaction and what we
perceive through the lens of others makes a big difference. Something from personal
experience, being a Pakistani, I have always been bombarded with images of our
neighbors i.e. India as the enemy, however, luckily for me I have had the opportunity of
going cross the boarder and experiencing myself what is the Indian culture actually about,
and it is completely different then what media feeds us. However, for many Pakistanis
this is not the case, and therefore many Pakistanis have build prejudice against their
neighbors just because of what they learn through the interactions with the institutions
they are linked with.
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version