POLI 205 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1&2: Non-Governmental Organization, World Politics, Collective Action

29 views3 pages
POLI205
September 6th Reading notes
Chapter 1 World Politics, Complexity and Competing Processes
Conflict: disharmony or opposition between global actors; conflict ideally is resolved through
negotiation; it may escalate into violence under certain conditions.
Cooperation: Global actors working together to achieve mutual benefits. Such as the United Nations
UN. Wide oept tha peae. Coopeatio is iheetl atie, euiig iteatio ad
communication to achieve mutually agreeable outcomes p.4 tetook
Nongovernmental organization (NGO): an association unaffiliated with local state, or national
government and established to achieve a specific goal; often an element of civic society.
International civil society: the public activities worldwide of organizations such as NGOs, faith-based
groups, labor unions, community groups, indigenous institutions, charitable organizations and
professional associations.
Bilateral: between two countries; two-sided
Secession: a goup’s, teito’s, o othe suatioal etit’s ithdaal fo politial assoiatio ith
a country; breaking away
Multilateral: among three or more countries; many-sided
International organization (IO) : A global institution comprised of states as members (e.g. the United
Nations).
Transnational corporation (TNC): a corporation with branches in multiple countries (e.g., General
Motors, PepsiCo, Sony, and Shell Oil)
Subnational groups: Can be identity groups (such as ethnic, religious, or national) or ideological groups
(e.g., Marxists), more or less organized and usually representing some subsection of the broader
population within a state.
Tensions in international relations: 1.Conflict and Cooperation 2.Globalization & Fragmentation
Globalization: Used here to mean increasing general connectivity and interdependence globally
(culturally, technologically, politically, militarily, economically, etc.): often used in purely economic
terms in reference to the increased mobility of goods, services, labor, technology and capital throughout
the world.
Fragmentation: used here to mean adherence to or embracing of regional and even local political
authority, economic development, social and cultural associations, ethnic or national divisions and so
on: more generally, the act, process, or result of breaking something into smaller pieces.
Norm: A generally accepted rule or standard
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Chapter 1 world politics, complexity and competing processes. Conflict: disharmony or opposition between global actors; conflict ideally is resolved through negotiation; it may escalate into violence under certain conditions. Cooperation: global actors working together to achieve mutual benefits. Wide(cid:396) (cid:272)o(cid:374)(cid:272)ept tha(cid:374) (cid:862)pea(cid:272)e(cid:863). (cid:862)coope(cid:396)atio(cid:374) is i(cid:374)he(cid:396)e(cid:374)tl(cid:455) a(cid:272)ti(cid:448)e, (cid:396)e(cid:395)ui(cid:396)i(cid:374)g i(cid:374)te(cid:396)a(cid:272)tio(cid:374) a(cid:374)d communication to achieve mutually agreeable outcomes(cid:863) (cid:894)p. 4 te(cid:454)t(cid:271)ook(cid:895) Nongovernmental organization (ngo): an association unaffiliated with local state, or national government and established to achieve a specific goal; often an element of civic society. International civil society: the public activities worldwide of organizations such as ngos, faith-based groups, labor unions, community groups, indigenous institutions, charitable organizations and professional associations. Secession: a g(cid:396)oup"s, te(cid:396)(cid:396)ito(cid:396)(cid:455)"s, o(cid:396) othe(cid:396) su(cid:271)(cid:374)atio(cid:374)al e(cid:374)tit(cid:455)"s (cid:449)ithd(cid:396)a(cid:449)al f(cid:396)o(cid:373) politi(cid:272)al asso(cid:272)iatio(cid:374) (cid:449)ith a country; breaking away. International organization (io) : a global institution comprised of states as members (e. g. the united. Transnational corporation (tnc): a corporation with branches in multiple countries (e. g. , general.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers