PSYC 363 Chapter Notes - Chapter 13: Primary Olfactory Cortex, Olfactory Receptor, Olfactory Receptor Neuron

55 views6 pages

Document Summary

Olfaction (the sense of smell: odorants, chemicals in the world, have different molecular shapes. c) In order to smell they must be: i. ii. iii. Hydrophobic: the olfactory system, process: i. ii. Odorants pass through the nose or the palate (at the back of the mouth). The odor molecules bind to cilia (olfactory dendrites) which have olfactory receptors (ors): This causes an action iii. iv. v. vi. Olfactory receptor cells olfactory sensory neurons) activate in the olfactory epithelium (patch of mucous membrane). The or cells electrically molecules through the cribriform plate onto olfactory bulb in the olfactory clef. The signals are transmitted to higher regions of the brain: The limbic system: amygdala and hippocampal regions: Involved in emotion and memory: olfactory receptors: potential. (a. k. a. fire the odor the i. ii. Different odors stimulate the receptors to varying degrees (i. e. making them fire fast or slow): We use this to discriminate thousands of odors: mammal genome:

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers