PSYC 1215 Chapter Notes - Chapter 15: Hypervigilance, Trichotillomania, Agoraphobia

52 views10 pages

Document Summary

Psychological disorder: syndrome (collection of symptoms) marked by a clinically significant disturbance in an individual"s cognition, emotion regulation, or behaviour. Years ago, people viewed strange behaviours as proof of strange forces (i. e. evil spirits) They are dysfunctional thoughts or behaviours that are maladaptive. Those who were mad would be caged or given therapies (i. e. genital mutilation, beatings, removal of teeth) Philippe pinel insisted madness is a sickness of the mind. Believed curing the illness required moral treatment (i. e. boosting patients" spirits by unchaining them and talking with them, replacing brutality with gentleness, etc. ) Medical model: concept that psychological disorders have physical causes that can be diagnosed, treated and cured through treatment in a hospital. Epigenetics: study of environmental influences on gene expression that occur without a dna change. Can predict a disorder"s future course, suggest treatment, and prompt research into its causes. I. e. schizophrenia can be used to describe a complex disorder.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers