Chemistry
Course
CHEM 287
Professor
Janine Mauzeroll
Semester
Fall

Description
Chapter 13: EDTA Titrations EDTA: can be used to titrate most metal ions by forming strong 1:1 complexes 13-1: Metal-Chelate Complexes Ligand: atom or groups of atoms bound to whatever atom youre interested in Lewis acids: electron pair acceptors Lewis bases: electron pair donors Monodentate ligand: binds to a metal ion through only one atom Multidentate ligand: (aka chelating ligand chelate) binds to a metal ion through more than one ligand atom EDTA is hexadentate (bind to metal through 2N atoms + 4O atoms) ATP - tetradentate Chelates excreted by microbes to gather iron called siderophores Complexometric titration: titration based on complex formation 13-2: EDTA EDTA most widely used chelator in analytical chemistry 2+ H 6 Below pH 10.24, most EDTA is protonated and isnt in the form Y that binds to metal ions Neutral EDTA tetraprotic, H Y4 Formation constant: K orfstability constant equilibrium constant for reaction of metal with a ligand. Kf M + Y MY n-4 - Metal-EDTA complex becomes unstable at low pH b/c H+ competes w/ metal ion for EDTA - Too high pH, EDTA complex is unstable b/c OH- competes w/ EDTA for the metal ion and may precipitate the metal hydroxide - Auxiliary complexing agent: forms weak complex w/ metal ion and keeps it in solution displaced by EDTA during the titration - Ex: ammonia, tartrate, citrate, triethanolamine prevent metal ions from precipitating in absence of EDTA - Metal-aux. complexing agent must be less stable than metal-EDTA complex 13-3: Metal Ion Indicators - Metal ion indicator: compound whose colour changes when it binds to a metal ion - For indicator to be useful, must bind metal less strongly than EDTA does - Most metal ion indicators also acid-base indicators - Used only in certain pH ranges (colour of free indicator is pH dependent) - Block: metal doesnt freely dissociate from indicator metal blocks the indicator 13-4: EDTA titration techniques - Direct titration: analyte titrated w/ standard EDTA - Analyte buffered to appropriate pH, at which rxn with EDTA is essentially complete and free indicator has color distinctly different from that of the metal-indicator complex - Aux. complexing agent might be needed to keep metal ion in soln in the absence of EDTA - Back titration: known excess of EDTA added to analyte excess EDTA titrated w/ standard soln of metal ion (back titration necessary if analyte precipitates in absence of EDTA, ir analyte reacts too slowly w/ EDTA, or if analyte blocks the indicator) - Metal used in back titration must not displace analyte from EDTA - Displacement titration: analyte treated with excess Mg(EDTA) to displace Mg 2+ - b/c no suitable indicator 2+ - Mg later titrated with standard EDTA M + MhY MY 2- n-4+ Mg 2+ - Formation constant of (metal)(EDTA) must be greater than K of Mg(EDTA) (orfelse displacement of Mg wont happen) - Indirect Titration: anions that precipitate metal ions can be analyzed with EDTA by indirect titration 2+ - E.g. sulfate can be analyzed by precipitation w/ excess Ba at pH 1. - BaSO (s) filtered, washed, boiled w/ excess EDTA at pH 10 to bring Ba back into solution as Ba(EDTA) 2- 4 - Excess EDTA back-titrated w/ Mg 2+ - Alternatively, anion can be precipitated w/ excess metal ion precipitate filtered, washed, excess metal ion in filtrate is titrated w/ EDTA - Masking agent: reagent that protects some component of the analyte from rxn w/ EDTA 2+ 2+ 3+ 3+ 3- - E.g. Mg in soln containing Mg and Al can be titrated by masking Al w/ F- to produce AlF , which doesnt react w6 EDTA (only 2+ Mg reacts w/ EDTA) - Masking prevents one element from interfering in the analysis of another element 13-5: The pH-Dependent Metal-EDTA Equilibrium 4- - Fraction of free EDTA in form of Y [Y ] = [EDTA] Y4- - [EDTA] refers to total concentration of all EDTA species not bound to metal ion (pg. 300 equations) - Kf= Y4-K falled the conditional formation constant effective formation constant n-4 - Describes formtion of MY at any particular pH - W/ conditional formation constant, can treat EDTA complex formation as if all free EDTA were in one form 13-6: EDTA Titration Curves - If Kf is large, can consider rxn to be complete at each point in the titration - Titration curve is graph of pM (= log[M]) versus volume of added EDTA Region 1: Before the Equivalence Point n+ - In this region, excess M after EDTA has been consumed n+ - Concentration of free metal ions equal to concentration of excess, unreacted M - Dissociation of MY n-4is negligible Calculations - Calculate pM using fraction of metal ion that will be left (after all present EDTA has reacted) Region 2: At the Equivalence Point - There is as much EDTA as metal in the solution - Can treat soln as if it were made by dissolving pure MY n-4 n+ n-4 - Some free M is generated by the slight dissociation of MY n-4 n+ MY M + EDTA - In this rxn, EDTA refers to total concentration of free EDTA in all of its forms. At equiv. pt., [M ] = [EDTA] n+ Region 3: After the Equivalence Point n-4 - Excess EDTA and virtually all metal ion is in the form MY - Concentration of free EDTA can be equated to concentration of excess EDTA added after the equivalence point The Titration Curve - Completeness of rxn (and sharpness of equivalence point) determined by conditional formation constant, K f - Y4-decrease as pH is lowered, therefore pH is important variable determining whether a titration is feasible - End point is more distinct at high pH - However, pH cant be too high that metal hydroxide precipitatesChapter 14: Electrode Potentials 14-1: Redox Chemistry and Electricity - Redox rxn: electrons transferred from one species to another - Oxidized: molecule loses electrons - Reduced: molecule gains electrons - Oxidizing agent: also called oxidant; takes electrons from another substance and becomes reduced - Reducing agent: also called reductant; gives electrons to another substance and is oxidized Chemistry and Electricity - Electric charge (q) measured in coulombs (C) - Magnitude of charge of a single electron (or proton) = 1.602x10 -19C 4 - Mole of electrons has charge = 9.649x10 C/mol Faradays constant, F - q = n x F - Quantity of electrons flowing from a rxn is proportional to the quantity of analyte that reacts Electric Current Is Proportional to the Rate of a Redox Reaction - Electric current (I) is quantity of charge flowing each second past a point in an electric circuit - Unit of current is ampere (A) flow of 1 C/s - Electrode: device to conduct electrons into or out of the chemicals involved in the redox reaction - Platinum is an inert electrode (does not participate in the reaction except as a conduct of electrons - Electroactive species: molecule that can donate or accept electrons at an electrode Voltage and Electrical Work - Difference in electrical potential between two points measures the work that is needed (or can be done) when electrons move from one point to another - Greater potential difference between two points, more work can be done (or must be done)
More Less

Related notes for CHEM 287

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit