Curriculum and Instruction
Course
EDEC 248
Professor
Lerona Dana Lewis
Semester
Fall

Description
SLEETER READING: LEARNING TO BECOME AN ALLY Race Relations from a White Perspective  white people have long history of getting in way of progress of people of colour & reinforcing/ benefitting from everyday racism  whites are the most segregated & isolated racial category in the USA  racial identity refers to sense of group or collective identity based on one’s perception that he/she shares a common racial heritage with a particular racial group  racial identity development theory posits stages marked by shifts in perspective & self identity as people move from seeing unequal race relations as normal to working actively for racial justice  whites & people of colour experience racial identity development differently  different positions in racial order, different experiences with racism  as one struggles with racisms, become better at recognizing & challenging it in a moral defensible & effective way What Do “They” Think of Me?  white people at contact stage see people of colour but assume existing racial order to be normal; maintain sense of self esteem & hold positive feelings about idea of blacks  whites grow up ignorant of racism  white person unaccustomed to working with students of colour often afraid of being perceived as racist & looks to students for confirmation they are a “good” white person  occupying role of teacher hinders noticing systemic privilege since teachers usually occupy higher status than students  interactions with people of colour gradually lead to disintegration of many racist assumptions  disintegration  term for white people’s initial recognition of racism What Do I Know About Them?  Civil Rights Movement didn’t end racial
More Less

Related notes for EDEC 248

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit